Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Question for you Brokers

Excellent suggestions Tinman. I did not realize shafts might not remain "corrected" after major damage. We will know more on Wednesday.

Dr Jim. The boat is kind of custom. There were only 6 made to these specifications in '87 & 88. After which, the quality was lowered to "Viking" standards.
    I've done A LOT of research on this model so let me explain:

Back in the 70's, Vince Lazzara owned a boat company - Gulfstar - known for low price and low quality. Some dreadful trawlers and round bottom motorsailers were produced. Late 70's, he wanted to up the quality and started producing some pretty good sailboats to compliment his line of shoddy motorboats. Mid 80's, the Lazarra sons got involved but they like quality powerboats more than sail. They begin talks with Viking hoping to generate some business synergy.
    Viking shared some designs and molds with Lazzara's so they could produce some boats out of the Gulfstar Tampa facility. The sons wanted to impress mgt over at Viking and really upped the quality over typical Viking fare. Though still using balsa coring, the layups were quality vinylester and the finest gelcoat available. All window frames, sliding doors and railings are high quality stainless instead of anodized aluminium. Cleats and fittings are all heavy duty. Interior joinery and wood finishes were first rate.
    There were 6 hulls made to these standards in 87 & 88. I have hull #3.

In '89, this changed as the Gulfstar facility began producing boats similar in quality to Viking. The 89-91 Viking/Gulfstars now have badly blistering aluminium window frames that will cost a small fortune to correct.

In 1991, Gulfstar was sold ito Viking and production was moved to NJ.

Vince Lazzara, his sons and grandsons are still around and now produce mini-mega yachts under the brand name - what else - Lazzara.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-29-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Vince lazzara was one of the pioneers of fiberglass boat in the 60s but with sailboats. He started Columbia, there are still quite a few around. He isn't around anymore though, and neither is lazzara yachts as they shut down 4 years ago or so. It a shame because they were building some damn good boats me with some very inovative styling and features while back then hatteras was suffering from a lack of creativity which they only overcome recently.

I ve been impressed with the 2009 84 skylounge I ve been running since last august. 5 staterooms 5 heads plus two crew SR in 84' burning only 70/75goh at 20kts. Tops at 32kts... systems are very well done. I also did quite a bit of research as I handled there buying for the owners. Our buyers broker was Tony Lazzara who works with his brother for HMY

Back to your question...

You need to request an extension for acceptance due to the damage. At least two weeks from repairs, Sea trial and survey. The seller would be crazy not to grant an extension at this point.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal - I don't want to derail my own thread but I did not know Vince Lazzara was gone.
    I read an article the Lazzara grandsons (Joe & Tom?) joint ventured with an investor to relaunch Lazzara yachts.

I'll see if I can find the article from 2015.

edit - Here it is:
    http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2015/0...-yachts-owner/

Joe & Steve Lazzara and the new company is Lazzara Custom Yachts.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-29-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Very cool, and I hope it works out. There were a lot of permutations of builders, since in a sense they were all small builders, in terms of numbers of hulls.

I agree c Pascal. The seller would be nuts to drive you away. You are still a willing buyer after all this; they should do what's necessary to keep you on board. You should insist on what's fair, but not kick them while they're down (not that you are doing anything of the sort)

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Excellent suggestions Tinman. I did not realize shafts might not remain "corrected" after major damage. We will know more on Wednesday.
    Passages, about 15 yrs ago I was sea trialing a boat at PB and we heading back to the dock when the owner cut a buoy in the ICW and ran hard aground with the shafts and props lying behind the boat on the shoal and rudders bent 90 degrees. To make a long story short the broker conned us into returning to sea trial the boat again, "boat is good as new". We did not get on plane when the vibration started then I was told they had retrieved the props and shafts from the shoal and "reworked them"". So, that stuff does happen to some of us. Yours could be different but I would not accept any badly damaged metal parts be reworked and reinstalled. I know from prior experiences working in a boat yard that shafts bent past a certain point and trued can reset out of alignment creates a weak point and cracks your cannot see by eye. That goes for rudder posts and struts too. They should keep you in the repair loop and divulge all that is done so you can make an informed decision. Keep us posted, curious to see how this goes for you. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post

Have your surveyor be the "bad guy". He should demand to observe shaft run-out checks, dye-penentrant or magneflux of shafts (especially at key ways) etc etc. I don't see how one could get a good runout check with the shafts installed in the boat, but I work on big precise machines, not in a boat yard.

If it truly stopped those big engines instantly, there's risk of something in the line being stressed.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

IMHO the choices are:
    A. Extension of acceptance date and closing to accommodate repairs and final sea trial. OR
    B. Conditional acceptance by June 1 pending proper repairs with extension for closing to accommodate final sea trial. OR
    C. Rejection of vessel due to damage sustained during sea trial.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I'd not do any conditional agreements. Especially if it spells out items looked over in the first attempt. If they don't extend the time for the same number of days from the first survey to acceptance to you from the date you can re survey the repairs their crazy. That would probably leave them open to paying your costs so far in the process.

By the way I'm not a lawyer but I did drive past a Holliday in express last tuesday.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Vince was a very old man in a wheelchair in 1983 when my dad bought a new 49' Gulfstar MY. He would have to long gone by now.

Having owned a 43DC Hatteras before the Gulfstar, I would say that the quality of components was not as good as Hatteras but the interior woodwork was far superior to Hatteras. Brad and Dick Lazzara were very innovative and held many industry patents. You can also see that in what Dick did later at Lazarra Yachts.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

They had 24 volt starters but 12 volt engine controls . If the 12 volt system goes down you can't start the engines. They have "innovative" charging systems too. I have replaced a few components.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.