Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Question for you Brokers

With the boat being hauled and worked on I'm sure potential new buyers would not be interested in a boat with that damage. Tell the broker you will walk if you get another letter like this.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

What is the wording of the original contract? If something like you have X days to accept after survey is complete, you should be well within your rights to expect the same amount of time following completion of the survey after repairs. As suggested much earlier, there might even be some keel damage or strut alignment issues in addition to props and possibly shafts.

Bobk

My two cents:

While running under load my buddy hit asubmerged object off shore. Taking a deisel under load and throttling back quickly is NOT a good thing for the engine. His port engine never ran the same after that incident. He did not have the engine surveyed after the event and she smoked for the rest of the time he had her.

So...if thottles were up all the way to WOT and engimnes were under full load and rapidly pulled back; you may want to have the engines looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    Not suggesting that it is inaccurate in any way but to date, "we" have one side of the story. To what extent had the mechanical and hull surveys been completed prior to the seatrial grounding? And how much of the seatrial had been completed for survey purposes? My experience has been that the surveyor wanted to go to cruise and WOT towards the end of the seatrial. It takes very little to damage a prop as all know and were I the seller, I might have immediately have had a diver inspect and pull the prop and presuming damage, had that prop re-conditioned. I then would have run the boat to confirm it was again running to specs. I can now say to the buyer; "Complete your seatrial". No muss--- no fuss. But.....if the buyer is now insisting that the boat be hauled and again inspected by the hull surveyor and additional terms are being imposed, one might become concerned as to the buyer's degree of committment. And....if there is another prospect in the wings? Best way to get ride of the " reluctant buyer" is to compel adherence to the terms of the contract.
    Good comments Bugs. Let me fill in some blanks for you.

1) Hull and sea trial were nearly complete at time of grounding.

2) Surveyor suggested getting a diver pronto but seller and broker INSISTED on having the boat hauled for damage assessment. Shame really because just an hour earlier the boat was hauled, bottom pressure washed, new zincs installed and prop acid descaled - all at owners expense. (I paid for the haul.)

3) I can assure you, I am not a 'reluctant' buyer. Having searched for years, I can confidently say this is the one. I just need certain assurances that the damage is not severe. As Freeebird rightly reminded everyone - it's not a Hatteras. There is balsa coring behind the fiberglass and if that hull is damaged exposing the core, I will need to confer with the surveyor and may walk away if that is the case.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/att...1&d=1495817073
    Last edited by Passages; 05-29-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    There is balsa coring behind the fiberglass and if that hull is damaged exposing the core, I will need to confer with the surveyor and may walk away if that is the case.
    To bring some positive thoughts: I highly doubt that the boat hit bottom hard enough to damage the hull. Isn't that area of ICW muck/sand anyway?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    To bring some positive thoughts: I highly doubt that the boat hit bottom hard enough to damage the hull. Isn't that area of ICW muck/sand anyway?
    No my friend. We hit something hard. As in BANG! Even stalled out the big 8-92

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    No my friend. We hit something hard. As in BANG! Even stalled out the big 8-92
    Probably a sucken blowboater mast! Hopefully it is isolated to just the prop and this gets settled soon. I don't want you taking my longest boat shopping title from me!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'd proceed slowly and carefully. Their insurance company or whoever has to fix the boat regardless, and it wasn't your fault. So if they push you, withdraw from the deal with polite regrets, and shop for another boat. They made more than one, right- this isn't a custom boat?

Maybe this is a sign from Beyond that you should buy a Hatteras.

Passages.....

Thanks for the response. I did not understand it to be a "hard impact" and impressed by seller's insistence on a haul and damage assessment presumably at his expense. Personally, I would simply set the broker's letter aside until you ( and your surveyor) have participated in the assessment on the 31st. Clearly, all the steps you take thereafter will depend upon that assessment and your comfort with same. As has been suggested, you can mutually agree to the extension of the date for acceptance until 48 hours following requisite repairs; confirmation of the adequacy of same by your surveyor(s) and, a further seatrial.

The broker knows better. If he was a reputable broker he would advise the seller and you to resurvey and sea trial after repairs are completed. Your surveyor should assess all damage and verify the alignment from the coupling to thru the struts and rudders including all fiberglass is ok before the deal continues. If the shaft needs to be trued it may not stay that way because metal has a memory once stressed past a point. A lot to confirm after a grounding. Seeing as how the owner grounded the boat, is he willing to compensate you for any additional expense to stay in the deal? As mentioned by krush, time to renegotiate!