Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question for you Brokers

Just got an email from the broker that he would like to receive a letter of vessel acceptance on June 1.

As you recall from my other thread, we ran aground and damaged the running gear while powering up for the WOT RMP test. The boat will be hauled on the 31st of May. He's wants to give me a day from the haul to commit to purchase. I really rather defer a commitment until repairs and a proper sea trial are completed.

Why the rush?

Re: Question for you Brokers

Since the owner was operating the boat and cut the seatrial short you should respond with a simple question.

With the seatrial not completed through no fault of yours when will it be ready to complete ?

After that there should be a time for you to receive the results and go over them before acceptance.

Is this your broker or the sellers?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Since the owner was operating the boat and cut the seatrial short you should respond with a simple question.

With the seatrial not completed through no fault of yours when will it be ready to complete ?

After that there should be a time for you to receive the results and go over them before acceptance.

Is this your broker or the sellers?
    Sellers. I have no other buyers broker.

When will it be ready to re-sea trial? I don't know. At a minimum 1 prop needs reconditoning. Struts, shaft? Maybe, so Who knows when it will get splashed.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-28-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Stick to your guns Jim. Scott is giving you good advice. You apparently didn't get a full sea trial and since that was part of the condition of sale, don't let them bully you into a commitment until everything has been done as per your agreement. By all means don't fall in love with your prospective new boat (although she looks like a beauty) until it's yours. Good luck with it... Walt

I would ask for an letter of acceptance extension date on the contract due to the accident. It wasn't your fault and if they are at all reasonable I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give you the extension. That being said, if you incurred any additional expenses, like having to have the surveyors come back a second time due to the fault of the other party, I would make that a condition of my letter of acceptance when and if you do decide to move forward with the deal. They're mistake has now cost you a lot of additional time and I'm betting additional money because your surveyor is having to come back. The other option if you like the boat and the way it surveyed so far is to give a conditional acceptance. One that states you will move forward with the deal and close, but only after all related repairs and corrected in accordance with good marine practice by a qualified yard. Then proven to be correct, sound and to the approval of you and or your surveyor after additional sea trials following the repair. Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Just got an email from the broker that he would like to receive a letter of vessel acceptance on June 1.

As you recall from my other thread, we ran aground and damaged the running gear while powering up for the WOT RMP test. The boat will be hauled on the 31st of May. He's wants to give me a day from the haul to commit to purchase. I really rather defer a commitment until repairs and a proper sea trial are completed.

Why the rush?
    Sounds like a BS pressure tactic to me. No way I would do a thing until the boat has been inspected and you sea trial it again, hopefully not in the same place.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Sounds like a BS pressure tactic to me. No way I would do a thing until the boat has been inspected and you sea trial it again, hopefully not in the same place.
    That's what I thought too. It's not like there are a dozen people lined up to buy the boat if I back out. In fact, since the boat was was brought to FLL last November, I was the only one to make an offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    That's what I thought too. It's not like there are a dozen people lined up to buy the boat if I back out. In fact, since the boat was was brought to FLL last November, I was the only one to make an offer.
    Well, there's your answer.

This could actually play to your advantage in several areas. I'd make the most of it. The boat wasn't hurt, and you'll be getting some new pieces parts in the deal. You have also suffered psychological trauma which makes you afraid of things you or your surveyor may not find which have lessened your confidence in the boat. Catch my drift?

Your new offer will reflect those concerns about future problems that result from that hard grounding. I mean after all, it's not a Hatteras.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Not suggesting that it is inaccurate in any way but to date, "we" have one side of the story. To what extent had the mechanical and hull surveys been completed prior to the seatrial grounding? And how much of the seatrial had been completed for survey purposes? My experience has been that the surveyor wanted to go to cruise and WOT towards the end of the seatrial. It takes very little to damage a prop as all know and were I the seller, I might have immediately have had a diver inspect and pull the prop and presuming damage, had that prop re-conditioned. I then would have run the boat to confirm it was again running to specs. I can now say to the buyer; "Complete your seatrial". No muss--- no fuss. But.....if the buyer is now insisting that the boat be hauled and again inspected by the hull surveyor and additional terms are being imposed, one might become concerned as to the buyer's degree of committment. And....if there is another prospect in the wings? Best way to get ride of the " reluctant buyer" is to compel adherence to the terms of the contract.

What is the wording of the original contract? If something like you have X days to accept after survey is complete, you should be well within your rights to expect the same amount of time following completion of the survey after repairs. As suggested much earlier, there might even be some keel damage or strut alignment issues in addition to props and possibly shafts.

Bobk