Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Question for you Brokers

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Vince was a very old man in a wheelchair in 1983 when my dad bought a new 49' Gulfstar MY. He would have to long gone by now.

Having owned a 43DC Hatteras before the Gulfstar, I would say that the quality of components was not as good as Hatteras but the interior woodwork was far superior to Hatteras. Brad and Dick Lazzara were very innovative and held many industry patents. You can also see that in what Dick did later at Lazarra Yachts.
    Vince was around in to the 90,s A broker friend asked me if I wanted run is HATTERAS .The boat was named Victory as in over the Healy's.

By the early 2000s they did come up with some interesting stuff. A number of their MYs had enclosed shaft and skegs to reduce drag. We don't has the C32s require large shaft but they use the enclosed shaft up to C30s. Neat

They also spent a lot of time on soundproofing and vibration isolations. The one feature which still amazes me is that the 84 doesn't have trim tabs yet pops on plane with just 2 degree bow rise. Instead of tabs they use a thin strip of stainless steel, extending down about a 1/4" where the tabs would be. Apparently dick Lazzara used to tweak every single boat to get th very best performance and balance
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    By the early 2000s they did come up with some interesting stuff. A number of their MYs had enclosed shaft and skegs to reduce drag. We don't has the C32s require large shaft but they use the enclosed shaft up to C30s. Neat
    I've read a few places that the spinning shaft through water creates a lot of friction (thus lost HP) on the engine). Having as much of the spinning shaft out of the water as possible makes sense.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Just got an email from the broker that he would like to receive a letter of vessel acceptance on June 1.

As you recall from my other thread, we ran aground and damaged the running gear while powering up for the WOT RMP test. The boat will be hauled on the 31st of May. He's wants to give me a day from the haul to commit to purchase. I really rather defer a commitment until repairs and a proper sea trial are completed.

Why the rush?
    And yet another reason why brokers get a bad reputation. There are an awful lot of really good brokers out there. Probably more good than bad. BUT, the ones that behave like used car salesmen give the industry a black eye. You have a deposit on the boat, your survey has gone well to this point, so the pressure is on the seller not you. Tell the broker to go pound salt.