Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Holy Smokes - South Florida Insurance Sticker Shock

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It s at least 30 days and can be extended especially if the buyer is not a fl resident.
    It's 10 days for removal from the state with no work being performed. 20 days if being repaired in a boat yard or legitimate repair facility. 90 days with the purchase of a $20 cruising decal. Extendable for an additional 90 days with the purchase of a $425. extension decal. All of this is ONLY applicable to non-Florida residents. If you are a Florida resident and you purchase a boat in Florida your ONLY option is to pay the Florida 6% tax with a maximum tax of $18,000. Within 30 days of removal, specific written evidence of removal must be provided to the Florida DOR.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Ok so it s really 90days.. who wouldn't pay the $20
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I use Dawn Speros from the Gowrie Group 401-848-0200 and the policy is with Geico. They were one of the few were I could get coverage without a full time captain rider. If your current policy requires you to have a captain and you can't show canceled checks paying one, you have NO coverage! Getting rid of the captain rider cost an extra $2k a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Freestyle View Post
    Mine jumped from $6k to $8k for $325k agreed value and the usual deductibles and limits. Then I agreed to limit Bahamian cruising to Bimini Abacos and Exumas and it dropped to under $6k. No big deal for me given work pressures but it helps to have an agent working the deal.

I use jackmartin.com and Renee is my contact point.

Bruce
    Freestyle
    Tampa
    62 CPMY (58 MY with cockpit extension)
    Big call out and THANK YOU to Bruce.

Called your company and got a quote for $3900. MUCH BETTER!

What size boat are you speaking of? Year, replacement value etc?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

BoatUS went with Geico and they jacked our rates to almost 5K including the Bahamas for a 150K boat. We went ballistic and ripped out the Bahamas, dropped the value and got it down around 2K.

All things considered that was the last straw and we sold the boat. In 17 years with the boat no claims, and zero claims since 1987.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    What size boat are you speaking of? Year, replacement value etc?
    63', 1988, $275,000

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It s at least 30 days and can be extended especially if the buyer is not a fl resident.
    When we bought our 55'C in 2015 we had 90 days to get her out of Fl. But our home port on registration is in Ohio.

Ron, you have a 63 'with similar values what are you spending here in California?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Unless things have changed recently, you need to purchase the cruising permit at the time of purchase. You can extend the 90 day permit to 180 days but it has to be during the first 90 days,might even be 30 days. You can get a care/custody agreement if you are having work done but you can not use the boat for personal use. Your repair facility or mechanic needs to file a form with the state or they'll hit you with the tax and some pretty steep fines. As mentioned, keep good records of repairs and fuel and dockage when you leave. You'll need them to prove the boat was moved out of fl. Make sure your home state will give credit for taxes paid in Fl. When I bought my boat I got the cruising permit. We ere going to stay longer and decided we would pay Fl the tax as it was the same as NJ. Problem was Fl would charge it as a use tax since it was after the purchase and NJ wouldn't credit it as sales tax. once your repairs are complete you will have 10 days to leave the state.
    Jack Sardina