Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Marine grade or not????

Great ideas. Do I use self adhesive veneer? Or glue it down with veneer cement?Do I use one layer of cement? Or multiple?Any special specifications I should look for in the veneer? or the cement?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Usually you woudl use contact cement. Follow the directions but typically you apply a thin coat on the surface and on the veneer, let dry for a few minutes and apply the veneer
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The usual method of applying veneer is with contact cement but it's imperative that everything is lined up perfectly at point of contact when applying it. Once it touches you cannot move it. I have used contact cement probably hundreds of times on many project and it's fine but I think I prefer to use a good grade of glue on projects such as yours. I prefer the Titebond series (1, 2 & 3). Series 3 can be used where a waterproof glue is desired. The lower grades 1 & 2 are less tolerant of water but for interior use any of the three grades would be fine. Any grade is readily available at Home Cheapo or Lowe's as well a many other sources.

Check out Q's thread (97 pages and going) to see what his woodwork looks like. Very impressive but I don't remember if he applied the veneer himself or purchased the plywood with the veneer already part of it. Pascal is also doing a very nice job of rebuilding his 53 MY and has posted many photo's of his cabinet work.

Please post pictures of your project.....they are always welcome and helpful for the next guy to get ideas for his/her project.

Walt

Buy plywood with the veneer already bonded if you can. I've seen failures of titebond and contact cement especially with wood veneer wbich is sometimes stabilized with paper.

It's a time saver and it will be a better bond to the plywood.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

1/2 inch ply gendered.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Veneer. I hate spellcheck
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Be careful if you use contact cement, the good old EPA has rendered it almost useless at least in California. If you do use it get it from a wood store not Home Depot. When you put on the sheet of veneer use small battens between it to hold it up off the contact cement and the ply so you can position it perfectly, then remove the battens one by one and press on the veneer. Good luck, it is not really that hard. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    1/2 inch ply gendered.
    Scott, what type of wood is that in your picture?
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Afromosa and teak mostly in the interior.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Scarlet, You are correct with the use of battens (I use dowels) on flat horizontal panels but on vertical panels such as bulkheads (walls) on a boat you can't use battens (unless you tape the ends of each batten in position. It's a little more tricky, but it works. Scott, I have used Titebond glues for very many projects and have never had a failure. If it's applied correctly there will be no problems with it.

Walt