Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Marine grade or not????

Hi Everyone,

I am going to build a helm seat for the salon (double bench) that will have a TV stand on its back and few shelves underneath to accommodate for some devices (like amazon tv).

I am thinking to use 3/4 inch plywood that would have one fine wood side ready to finish (such as Oak Okoume, or Mahogany). My question is: If I am going to Varnish all edges and sides of the plywood, do I still need to get a marine grade plywood?

Again this will be interior furniture and should not touch water unless I spill a glass of water or other fluid while seated.

Cost is not the prohibiting factor it is the availability and convenience of getting the wood from a nonmarine store where they would cut them so that they would fit my SUV, VS. the marine store where I would have to rent a truck and drive across half the town and also pay more.

Thanks
    Gus
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: Marine grade or not????

Marine grade uses better glues and better veneers, both. Can you get it shipped to you? I'd use marine grade.

Not necessary. I'd buy the best plywood that varnish will highlight the grain. You want the piece to look like a piece of furniture. Take a look at the post about the Chris Craft retrofit. The plywood he is using is beautiful with. varnish on it. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Here's a link to a good explanation of the difference: That said, for your project I wouldn't bother with "Marine" grade.

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-ma...lywood-2736672

You don't need marine grade inside and usually marine grade ply doesn't come with great veneers, or it's harder to find

The only place I've use marine grade plywood inside is to do the sub floor of the enlarged head.

And outside, I don't think plywood belong either... use starboard or foam cored glass.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If you use a good quality furniture grade plywood you will be fine I don't think hatt used marine grade on the interior wood
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I too would not specify 'marine grade' for interior work. Furniture grade is the best compromise and should have a finish suitable for your purposes. The glues these days are all said to be waterproof. Most grades other than pressure treated will rot under the right conditions. Seal the ends if frequent wetting is to be expected, otherwise use what you prefer as you would for an indoor job.

Bob

I think most of the "cabinet grade" plywood is constructed with better, and also more layers, than any fir marine grade plywood. The Okume and Meranti marine plywood is really good. Personally I prefer to build these types of units and then cover them with veneer. If you're going to go to the trouble of building this you should probably cap any "raw" plywood edges with a matching hardwood.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I think most of the "cabinet grade" plywood is constructed with better, and also more layers, than any fir marine grade plywood. The Okume and Meranti marine plywood is really good. Personally I prefer to build these types of units and then cover them with veneer. If you're going to go to the trouble of building this you should probably cap any "raw" plywood edges with a matching hardwood.
    Yep, iron-on veneer tapes come in many flavors and are easy to apply.

Bob

You can also cut thin strips of whatever wood you re using ina table saw and glue it on edges. I ve done that on galley cabinets I built using 3/4 thick mahogany plank. You can slice it about 1/8 thick
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat