Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Need Hull and Engine Surveyor in Ft Lauderdale area.

Are you talking about the wide area between R36 and R38? I think it's the only open zone on the icw but the channel,is very narrow.

Hopefully just a bent wheel
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes Pascal, that's the spot.

BANG occurred just below the "3.0" mark, center bottom of your image. I swore we were in the channel but I see by the chart there is not much room for error. We must have drifted just a bit.

Man that sux.
    Last edited by Passages; 05-26-2017 at 03:48 PM.

There is zero room for error there, it's very narrow and shall up quickly. When I wanted to sea trial the boat on th same day as yOu i didn't even consider that spot even though it's the only open stretch of icw I hate FLL.... dockage is cheap which is why the boat is up there while listed but that's about it

I certainly woudlnt walk from the boat as long as the vibration is fixed, and the shaft checked. Are they going to do a short haul to put the wheel on ? That's something I d insist on so they can also check the run out on the shaft vs a diver install. May want to check for keel damage too
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes, boat will be hauled Wednesday. I will get photos of damage.

Damage Report:

Starboard prop bent.
    Minor scrape damage to stbd Stab fin.

Shafts true to .002. (Within spec)

Prop removed for reconditioning. Stabilizer fin to be spot repaired in place.
    Acceptance of vessel pending sea trial showing absence of vibration, Max RPM >2100, no thru hull leakage.

Good news Jim.... Good luck with her... Walt

This is the pic that concerns me a bit.

Stabilizer fin that that took a shave. The bottom outer layer of glass is torn off exposing the foam core. Easy enough to fix with roving and resin. Suspect the foam took the brunt of the hit so then post should be fine.

I d be concerned about damage to fin actuator or even stress to the hull around the actuator. Talk to your surveor and make sure he inspects the area carefully for stress cracks. May not be a bad idea to have someone inspect the stab and seals. Who s the stab manufacturer?

How's bad was the prop? You want your surveyor to make sure there is no damage to the strut or shaft
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

have a stabilizer company check the system with your surveyor. If its damaged its not a cheap fix down the road.

Also have the prop checked for cracks if it was a big hit and the shaft ends too.

If the owner is putting this on his insurance you may find a diminution of value from the claim if its substantial.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    This is the pic that concerns me a bit.

Stabilizer fin that that took a shave. The bottom outer layer of glass is torn off exposing the foam core. Easy enough to fix with roving and resin. Suspect the foam took the brunt of the hit so then post should be fine.
    If this is a Naiad fin, they are made to break away below to seals. I'd pop the fins and look carefully for cracks in the shaft.

Bobk