Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Need Hull and Engine Surveyor in Ft Lauderdale area.

Didn't we have a PITA member with that boat?

Milipassages?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Are the engines ddec?

That cuts the engine surveyors way down.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There are marine surveyor associations from which you may choose a surveyor in a local to you city or state... Two of the most recognized are The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors, Inc. (SAMS), and another is the National Association of Marine Surveyors (NAMS)... Google each for additional information...

Each association should provide you with many choices of marine surveyors in the local Ft. Lauderdale area... plus, generally speaking, your insurance company should have no issue with accepting their surveys...

But, prior to actually hiring your surveyor, you may wish to check with your insurance company to be certain that a survey from this surveyor will be acceptable to the company...

Best regards...

Nice looking vessel, I'd give my eye teeth for a stand up walk around engine room! Not a big fan of the added cleat at the transom, seems the spiral stairs may have been added ? Good luck with the survey and potential ownership!
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

Where's the cockpit?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Where's the cockpit?
    It's on the 68' Viking.

Since the distance from the west coast of Florida to the east coast is not great, I will mention Dan Mattos, Mattos Marine in Ft. Myers. Dan has always been available well down the road to talk about things. I have great confidence in Dan's recommendations, and history has proven them correct. He is fully accredited.

I also appreciated Dan's evaluation of some yacht brokers and their tactics as well as his willingness to share. When I used the information and advice Dan gave me to 'adjust' my offer downward on ASLAN, my broker went nuts and said, basically, I shouldn't trust the survey. He got real quiet after I reminded him that he had recommended Dan as the best in the business. He was right about that one.

My hull survey was done by someone I would not recommend.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The Viking 63 is a nice boat. I did a short delivery on one 6 or 7 years ago from Tampa to the abacos, thru the OWW. Nice layout with an incredible engine room. I don't remember the year, early 90s i think, with 12V71 pushing her nicely

8v92 feel small for such a big boat.

Before spending money on survey I'd try to get more info on the bottom peel job mentioned in the listing. How long ago and why... especially with a cored bottom.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The Viking 63 is a nice boat. I did a short delivery on one 6 or 7 years ago from Tampa to the abacos, thru the OWW. Nice layout with an incredible engine room. I don't remember the year, early 90s i think, with 12V71 pushing her nicely

8v92 feel small for such a big boat.

Before spending money on survey I'd try to get more info on the bottom peel job mentioned in the listing. How long ago and why... especially with a cored bottom.
    I asked that myself. The bottom peal was done about 15 years ago. There was some water intrusion into the core and all affected material was replaced and the entire bottom relaminated. If we find similar during the survey, price adjustment will be made or the deal cancelled.

My biggest concern at the moment is financing. Spoke to 'the man' just a while ago and this is what he said:

Most boat loan companies limit themselves to 20 year old boats or newer. There are 3 banks that go to 25 and only 1 that goes to 30. This boat is 30. Much as I'd like to own her, no finance = no boat.