Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

61' CPMY/63' CPMY vs LRC or DeFever for Caribbean cruising?

My wife and I are shopping for a boat that would be suitable for cruising the islands for the next couple of years and we have set aside $400k for purchase and outfitting. Researching on Yacht World and other sale sites indicates that a decent Hatteras 61/63' CPMY can be bought for the about same money as a similar sized full displacement boat such as a Cheoy Lee or DeFever or even Hatteras LRC. My question is which type of vessel would be best suited to an extended cruise by a knowledgeable couple with occasional guests? If all candidates were stabilized and were run at hull speed which would have the easiest motion in typical Caribbean seas?

Also, I see that even Hatteras yachts in the 75' plus range have steep ladders up to the flybridge, how does this work out in practice? I cannot really imagine my dear wife carrying a tray of snacks and beverages for 5 or 6 up a ladder! Or do you never drive the boat from up there unless in an anchorage or harbor and you make everyone carry their own up the ladder?

Re: 61' CPMY/63' CPMY vs LRC or DeFever for Caribbean cruising?

Pilot house models typically have some sort of stairs to the bridge. If you choose a motor yacht, you need to know how the stabilizers are designed. If it was for fast cruising, the fin area may not be large enough to be helpful at hull speed.

Why not let your wife drive the boat and you bring up the snacks.

Good luck

Bobk

Can one typically increase the size of the fins without upgrading the stabilizer mechanics if this was the case?

yes in most cases you can go from 4.5 to 6 square feet and I believe up to 9 ' utilizing the same actuators, and have fun with a Defever , I have one next to me with its tanks leaking, looks to me that in the same vintage you'd be in a lot more issues with a Defever than a Hat--IMO .....Pat
    Last edited by doc g; 04-27-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Indeed the old style ladder is a pita but unless you are willing to pay for a much newer boat... you don't have much of a choice. There are way to make the ladder more manageable with wider steps and a better angle The solution is it have whoever is downstairs pass the drinks and trays to someone up on the FB

Stabilizers are a must for any extended cruising especially in the Carib where you ll have a lot of beam seas between the islands once you hit the leewards.

Choy lees and Defever are ok but nowhere near the quality of even older hatteras. There was a 49 cockpit Defever next to me for years, cramped boat and a number of issues. While a true displacement hull is more efficientthe difference in fuel isn't that much especially when factoring all the expenses
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...abrilloyachts&

Raya has been for sale for a few years. I drive past her at the dock frequently. I'm pretty sure you could get her for much less than asking price if you are looking at a 70 foot Hatteras. John/Scarlett took a tour of her and said she was in good shape. Just needed new electronics.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

I am aware of that vessel, but we would prefer to purchase on the east coast to avoid having to sail or transport the boat to the Caribbean.

How do the bigger Hatteras behave at anchor? Do they sail around due to the larger superstructure or have a quick roll? We will be spending a lot more hours on the hook or moored than underway.....

Most MY swing more than sailboats for instance due totnhe flatter bottom and the typical lack of keel. Hatteras probably swing a little less because of the keel. Either way it s no big deal on a windy day I set up a bridle to eliminate the chain slamming in the pulpit
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat