Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

32V battery replacement

That time again. This is the 8th set of batteries I've put in the boat over the last 40 years. All but a couple sets I've done myself. Looking back at past invoices I paid$99 ea for 819's jumped up to $109 in the 80's now it's just obscene. Used to buy them from Anthracite battery in Philadelphia they actually replaced the cells in my cases. Took a tour of the place once. Was like the bowels of hell dank acrid fumes that stung your eyes and burnt your nose. Battery manufacturing is a nasty business. Their long gone so I took a ride up to East Lyons Pa and talked to the engineers at Deka. They still make the old 819 but the 8V195 is a more modern design with a lower price and better specs. They claim the weight difference is in the construction of the tar potted 819 and not in the lead plates. For almost a grand less I went with the 8V195 I'll see what happens.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: 32V battery replacement

It's not a job for good clothes.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Up and out. One of the pluses of having th boat behind the house
    Attached Images

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I installed 8V195s in our 53 in 2010, replacing 819s, which replaced 819s, which replaced Rolls/Surettes. The original Rolls lasted 15 years. The succeeding sets lasted 5-6. The 195s now need replacing; they lasted about the same amount of time as the 819's. I will be replacing them with another set of 195's
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

And now the problemo. A couple sets ago I had one bank that kept cooking the water out from new. After a month of this. And the battery supplier telling me it was my charger I pulled hydrometer readings on the bank.Turned out a dead cell pulling the rest down. With the back breaking job of putting these things in I always check them now before I take them off the truck. And guess what one reads a little over 6 volts instead of the 8.5 they should be. Hydrometer shows one bad cell. FML you have to check everything and everyone's work today!!! Chances are it will be F'd up
    Attached Images

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Great Point! Just because it's a new battery doesn't mean it's a GOOD battery.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Hey what are you guys paying for those Batteries? Reason I'm asking is because the Rolls Surretts are just over 400 a piece, and Im getting quotes of 350 for the 195's. To me I'd rather fork out the cash for the Rolls if it's only 50-75 difference. Just curious.

$269 plus tax in SC last fall for 195's.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I paid $207 each in 2010 which included delivery to the dock/picking up my old batts. Sounds like I'll be paying a lot more in 2017!

I absolutely agree that if Rolls can be purchased for only 60 bucks more, than that's the way to go ASSUMING the Rolls in question are what we expect from Rolls, not an "economy battery" with a Rolls label on it!

NOTE- this added a couple of minutes later: I just checked the 8V195 price at Pasco Battery in Easton MD, where I bought the last set - $239 (with core). So that's not too bad - about 30 bucks more (each) than 2010. They don't seem to list the 819 at all anymore. Pasco used to carry them.
    Last edited by MikeP; 04-23-2017 at 08:44 PM.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I still think the Rolls are worth the extra $ if you're going to own the boat long enough. The job of changing them is just too great to justify anything that would increase the frequency of replacement. If you figure the cost/year, I think you come out ahead.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI