Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: Fuel Injector service

I have one minor fuel leak at one injector that is giving me fits trying to fix. I still can't tell if its the fuel feed union or the side mounted compound return attachments. Does anyone know the proper torque value for a 17mm metal fuel line union nut so I can check my tightening force? Related items suggest 15 - 21 ft lbs. Next week I will take a closer look to get it fixed completely but I have to move the boat today. I have already loosened, turned washers and retightened and that helped but did not completely solve the problem.

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Does anyone know custom metal fuel line fabrication or repair capability. Looks like a may have a damaged line at the injector and MAN only sells the entire spider at the "entire"cost.

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Most fuel injection shops can re-flare the end for you.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I talked to the injector shop that rebuilt my injectors and he said he knows of no solution. These are steel lines with bulbs pressed onto the end of the steel pipe and are a specific metric ID which is apparently critical to the delivery rate. Does anyone know someone on the east coast of Florida that might be able to help?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

Jeff at Triangle Diesel in Lake County has built me lines in the past for some obsolete units.

Try him, 877-735-4999.

Hope this helps,

Tim

So a separate piece pressed on the end like a ferrule? Or is the end of the line swaged into a shape?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Looks like a separate piece pressed on the end. I'll take a closer look when I get the boat out of the yard. I also now have the torque specs for the 17mm Union nut on the high pressure lines - 10nm, 60 degrees, then 30 degrees. So three passes.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

It's 2017....why don't you stop trying to describe it and take a picture? Prince is dead...we don't need to party like 1999
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    It's 2017....why don't you stop trying to describe it and take a picture? Prince is dead...we don't need to party like 1999
    I will krush. The boat limped into the yard yesterday leaking fitting and all to make my immovable yard schedule yesterday. When I go to pick it up I will take this issue back up and will post some pictures.

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

I finally got a hold of the manual that contains the torque values for my engine. The value for the high pressure fuel line union nuts reads as follows:

Initial torque ...................................... 10NM (8 ft lbs)
    rotation angle for first installation .......... 60 degrees
    rotation angle for following installation .... 30 degrees

I was told this meant a 3 pass process each time. I take this to mean a 2 pass process, either 10NM plus 60 degrees or 10NM plus 30 degrees depending on if the fuel line is a new install. This would make sense based on the old rule of thumb of contact plus one nut flat which is 60 degrees on a hex.

How do you guys see this?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's