Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Fuel Injector service

There was not as much anti seize left behind as I thought. There is a step in the bore that looked liked a ring of paste. Basically brush to the threads and bore, vacuum with a plastic hose taped to the shop vac, wipe with some solvent on some lint free shop towel material wrapped around a 1/2" socket extension and vacuum again. Shiny as a monkeys hiney.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

FYWAA. In speaking with a MAN distributor he suggested that if I have concerns about any crud/paint chips getting into the fuel pump connection ports for the fuel lines (facing up), then turn the engine manually to pump some fuel up and out to flush. He did say however that any decent sized paint chips should be sitting at the top and retrievable. The lines of course can be hit with compressed air or flushed with solvent before reassembly.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

My Dremel kit has an attachable flexible wand that fits down into my injector ports. With various brass wire wheels, and the fabric wheels in the kit, the clean up of carbon, and nasty stuff was a breeze. I could not believe how easy and less time consuming it was. The copper washers fit perfect, and no leakage.

First tried the shotgun rifle kit with the bore cleaning brushes. Did a good job, but the availability of the Dremel accessories allowed me to find tools the perfect size.

My 2 cents.

Have a great weekend,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    My Dremel kit has an attachable flexible wand that fits down into my injector ports. With various brass wire wheels, and the fabric wheels in the kit, the clean up of carbon, and nasty stuff was a breeze. I could not believe how easy and less time consuming it was. The copper washers fit perfect, and no leakage.

First tried the shotgun rifle kit with the bore cleaning brushes. Did a good job, but the availability of the Dremel accessories allowed me to find tools the perfect size.

My 2 cents.

Have a great weekend,
    Tim
    Good idea, I'll take a look.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

I went to an Ace Hardware and they had some Dremel wire wheel brushes that were reverse tulip shape in brass. That hit the bases perfectly and put a shine on them. Also used Seafoam spray, which cuts carbon and also was a great lubricant. On the side walls, used the brass quarter shaped wheels that were just a tad larger than the hole. The wand on the Dremel was rigid aluminum so working up and down the tube was easy, held the Dremel with the variable speed switch in the other hand.

Take care,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I went to an Ace Hardware and they had some Dremel wire wheel brushes that were reverse tulip shape in brass. That hit the bases perfectly and put a shine on them. Also used Seafoam spray, which cuts carbon and also was a great lubricant. On the side walls, used the brass quarter shaped wheels that were just a tad larger than the hole. The wand on the Dremel was rigid aluminum so working up and down the tube was easy, held the Dremel with the variable speed switch in the other hand.

Take care,
    Tim
    Do you have a picture or link for your flexible attachment? I see a few different types and some look like the "wand" might be too wide to fit down the injector bore.

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

Sorry for the delay in response, I was out of town for the weekend. I loaned mine out but it looks like this.
    42-Aluminum-Flexible-Flex-Shaft-For-Dremel-Carver-Engraver-Grinder-Rotary-Tool.jpg
    I will try to find a link.

Tim

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/...ztW/s-l225.jpg

This is just like mine.

Good Luck,
    Tim

I found the first one on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WJVLWV7S&psc=1

and the second one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DREMEL-Flexi...QAAOSw1BlZRztW

Looks like that Dremel attachment is no longer made but available as NOS or used on ebay, part number 225 T2. The current model looks like the business end might not fit in the injector bore.

Thanks,

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 06-19-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

That second one on ebay looks just like the one I loaned out. It is just a little fatter than an ink pen.

Worked great for me, Best of luck to you.

Have a great week,
    Tim