Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Fuel Injector service

Well, I don't know a thing about MAN stuff....but a "screw inertia extractor" is a fancy way of saying slide hammer...

It is. I think the other thing they're describing is just a puller. I've been waiting for the MAN tech to get back to me... still waiting.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

10-4 on the slide hammer. Iv'e seen a few examples of that tool used with lug nuts or a recycled flare nut welded on
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    It is. I think the other thing they're describing is just a puller. I've been waiting for the MAN tech to get back to me... still waiting.
    Any word yet from your MAN guy?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Nothing yet. I put in another call, hopefully he'll check in soon.

1970 36C375

Thanks, standing by.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

Well that worked much better on the second try. He said that the tool you're showing in that kit on the lower left allows you to use the castle nut to pull the injector. It threads on to the line fitting and then unscrewing the retaining nut should break the injector loose. He also said they can be quite difficult to remove and the tools break a lot. Hopefully you started a long time ago with the penetrating oil.

My advice: if you're going to try to pull them with the retaining nut I'd take the nut out first and put a lot of heavy lubricant like grease or never-seez on the threads to help prevent them from galling. You don't want to booger up the threads in the head.

1970 36C375

Thank you for chasing this down. So then it looks like the reason for the two simultaneous wrenches shown in the removal picture is that the top wrench is holding the fuel line fitting attachment in place while the lower wrench is turning the outer sleeve which drives the castle nut up and out? Is that how you understand it?

Do you know why they also use the slide hammer approach?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

Looks like you've got it. I'd guess they recommend the slide hammer because you can apply force without the risk of stripping the threads. Also, when dealing with frozen components there's a lot to be said for shock value.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Looks like you've got it. I'd guess they recommend the slide hammer because you can apply force without the risk of stripping the threads. Also, when dealing with frozen components there's a lot to be said for shock value.
    If you need a slide hammer I guess you immobilize the top of the injector body under the line fitting threads on the two flats and then turn the castle nut up and out, then attach to the line threads and make momentum transfer your friend?

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's