Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Fuel Injector service

Any advice on who to use for fuel injector service once I remove them from my MAN mechanical 8's?

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Re: Fuel Injector service

Ask Derek (avenger)

He knows about that kind of stuff.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Derek is the man!

Here on the East coast Diesel Injection of Martin County are the best. Ask for John, (772) 283-8999

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Here on the East coast Diesel Injection of Martin County are the best. Ask for John, (772) 283-8999

Thank you, I will give John a call.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Anybody taken MAN injectors out? Most people are talking about collars with retaining bolts into the block that you remove after the fuel lines come off. These look more like a collar ring around the injector that threads into the block that needs a spanner of some sort.

Thanks,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

Could be a bolt down clamp or collar. Usually it's a hex, but knowing the Germans it could require a special tool. Post a pic and I'm sure we can figure it out.

MAN injectors are frequently frozen in the head because their owners are proud and wash the engines. No kidding. That's caused more heartburn than you can imagine.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Could be a bolt down clamp or collar. Usually it's a hex, but knowing the Germans it could require a special tool. Post a pic and I'm sure we can figure it out.

MAN injectors are frequently frozen in the head because their owners are proud and wash the engines. No kidding. That's caused more heartburn than you can imagine.
    Funny you should bring that up as I am overdue for some engine room clean up. Better leave the garden hose in the cockpit.

Next time I go down there I'll get some pictures of the fuel injectors.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

It appears that the injector is held down to the head with a threaded collar ring that looks like a castle nut on top. So I would think that a special socket with spanner nubs slides over the injector to engage the retaining ring and unscrews it while you hold the injector body in place at the top with a wrench on the two flats just under the fuel line threads. Simple enough, but then I read the instructions in the service manual and it sounds more complicated than that:

Remove pressure screw from the fuel injector using a pin spanner

For this purpose use a ring spanner with a fixing screw

Where injection nozzles are more accessible, screw inertia extractor on to nozzle holder and knock out nozzle holder

Take out injector and injector seal.

What does all this sound like to you? Whats going on with that two wrench set up?

Thanks,

George

IMG_6736.JPGIMG_6737small.JPGIMG_6729.JPG
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 04-30-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

I have ordered this specialty tool set that I hope is the correct "socket" for injector removal.

George

VS2061.jpg
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's