Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 24 X 24 props

Re: 24 X 24 props

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I have a pair of 24x 23 four blade props that have been redone and not put on a boat since. These unfortunately are for 2" shafts but I understand they can be used with optional bushings. If you are interested let me know. These were one of many sets that I had for one of my previous boats and my present boat uses 26" dia. They are in NJ in Michigan boxes and can be shipped (expensive) butpick up would be preferable.

Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
    Are these props gone? I might be interested. Do you have others?
    The props mentioned above are available for sale from me…because I purchased them from the seller who stated they were 24x23 (or close to it) on 2” shafts. My boat has 2” shafts 24x23 4blade with cup. These props are in the classified section here: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...an-use-bushing

However, I doubt you or anybody else posting in this thread will be interested in them because they are both 2 ¼” bore and nowhere close to 24” pitch!

Now, why would a guy with a boat that has 2” 24x23 buy props with 2 ¼” bore? Answer: he wouldn’t…at least knowingly.

I made arrangements and traveled up to the seller to buy these “24x 23 four blade props that have been redone and not put on a boat since.” Seller also had 2 other sets of props that he claimed to be 2” and around 24x23, but not exactly sure of pitch. I’m doing testing on my boat, and having a few sets of props with slightly different diameter and pitch would give me useful data points. We made a deal for 3 sets of props that all were advertised and assured to be 2” 24diamter props.

I measured the diameter the best I could before buying, and they all were around 24”. Being that I can’t measure pitch with a ruler (can any average buyer?), I trusted the word of the seller. I mean, the seller is a long time Hatteras Forum Member and known by many on here; why should I have any reason to be skeptical?

In what I now admit as pure naivety, I blindly accepted the word of yankee without deeply inspecting the goods because I figured the seller was informed to what he was selling. I say this because at time of purchase, I looked at the hub of two sets of props and they appeared to be bored out to my eyes. I asked about this, but was assured the props were 2” bore because that is the only size shafts the seller has ever had on his boat. Also, I’m not really sure how to measure the shaft size on the taper. Lastly, given that our Hatteras Forums holds the seller in such high regard, why would I have any reason to doubt his assurances that these props will work great on my boat (which uses 2” 24x23 props)? If there was some misunderstanding, surely a fellow Hatteras Forum Member would make right on the deal—I know others have in the past.

I told the seller I would get the props scanned at the shop to verify their dimensions, but it won’t be until winter (several months later) when I take my existing props (and various outboard props) to the shop to get reworked. I needed them scanned so I knew exact measurements for testing purposes, not because I felt reason to doubt the seller (again, a mistake on my part).

Let’s say I was quite a bit surprised when the prop guy called me with the specs of the three sets of 2” 24” diameter props were:

1. The tuned props that were in the box are 2.25inch, 23.5 x 19" pitch
    2. Set 2 is 2.25inch, 24x20
    3. Set 3 2inch, 25" x19" pitch

I can use set 3 as emergency spares (at least they are 2” bore), but at 25x19, they aren’t useful to me for rotatable spares.

Nobody would knowingly buy these props when his boat uses 2” 24x23. Though the agreed price was very nice, I bought props for testing, not to speculate in resale.

I approached the seller with the new information regarding the props in hopes that he would make right on the deal. Seller’s responses shocked me, which included “you got them for such a good price, just try to sell them”; “you spent time looking at them and measuring them, you knew what you were buying”; “it’s not fair to me that you changed your mind 6 months later and don’t want props and want me to take them back, that’s not fair…what am I going to do with them?”; “what would you do in my shoes?”

Maybe it’s a generational difference, or maybe it’s a geographical difference, but I had a quick reply for last one: I would put a check in the mail for the purchase price, apologize, and figure a way to get the propellers back (by the way, I offered to drop the props back off at the seller’s home on my next trip north). It was obvious there was not going to be an amicable solution to this predicament when the response was, “I don’t have anything to apologize for; you looked and measured the props before you bought them. I didn’t hide anything”. Except, as shown in the quote above, the seller was either A) misinformed as to what these props were, and through no fault of his own he mistakenly told the forum and the wrong specs (most likely) or B) willingly misrepresented what I was buying to my face (unlikely, and I would never expect a forum member would ever do this in our close Hatteras community).

Regardless, I have spoken with and given this seller many opportunities to make right on this deal (to include me delivering 3 sets of props back to his house). But the only solution I’ve been presented with was “sell them” because I “got such a good price, they are worth that in scrap.” I’m expected to sell them, but the seller won’t take them back because he doesn’t want to deal with selling them……hmmmm? It’s the principle of the matter as we aren’t talking huge sums of money here (with transportation I figure I have between $200-300 tied up in each prop).

So, if anybody knows of some 2” 24x24 four-blade props, I’m still looking for a set to do some testing with because the 6 props I bought from the seller above aren’t of any use to me. I have them for sale for cheap, but I doubt any of these 6 props will be useful to anybody in this thread. Ya’ll should be thankful you didn’t buy them from the seller, pay to have them shipped, get the boat hauled, and then get a nasty surprise when the props sit on the shaft like the pictures below.

I could use the 2 ¼” props for decoration, but every time I look at them I get angry at myself for trusting yankee—I’ve been burned by a few in the past and it’s my fault for expecting a different outcome. So to buyers/sellers, always be aware that even our lovely Hatteras Forum requires aggressive due diligence for transactions, and maybe only deal with people that talk slowly with a Southern drawl--or at the very least have live in the South for 15+ years LOL.

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Here's a scan from one prop in each of the sets. 20inch pitch and 19inch pitch.

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

KRUSH,

You are so out of line on this matter and I am frankly very surprised at you. First of all you looked at
    them and measured them as I did and I clearly stated that the only set that I ever used was the #3
    set which you confirmed did have a 2" bore. You agreed that all 3 sets were in great condition and in
    fact one set had not been installed on a boat since they were reworked by Ocean Props and were labeled
    as such. The other two sets I clearly told you that I had bought them some years ago and never had
    the need for them and they stayed in my storage container since. You drove out to look for some bargains
    and you got them. I sold you all three sets for less than the value of one set on the used market after
    you beat me up on the price. As I told you then and also on the phone 6 months later when you called
    I just wanted to get rid of a lot of boat stuff that I had in the container and in fact you took a bunch of
    other stuff at super bargain prices. For you to come back to me 6 months later and tell me that you
    can't use them and I should take them back frankly takes some nerve. You can probably get what you
    paid for them as scrap value for the metal. I am not in the used boat parts business and I sold them
    to you in good faith but that did not come with a money back guarantee that you may or may not get
    from a person in the business and certainly not after inspecting them at length and 6 months later.

I feel offended by your attitude and I would also like to remind you that you took a lot of other stuff
    that day for free just because I wanted to get rid of it. In my opinion you are not an honorable person
    because of your attitude. You need to grow up and realize that you really stole my stuff for the little
    amount you paid for it and in fact the #3 set is worth quite a bit more than you paid for all 3 sets as
    any propeller shop will tell you.

Walt

Call Don's Marine Surplus and Salvage - they have a room full of used props.

http://donsmarinesalvageyard.com/

5601 126th Ave N, Clearwater, FL 33760

(727) 576-8577

I have no affiliation with them, just buy stuff from time to time.

Hey Walt you bragged how rich you are give the poor guy his money back!!!!
    It’s the right thing to do!!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Hey Walt you bragged how rich you are give the poor guy his money back!!!!
    It’s the right thing to do!!
    I have never bragged about what I have and what I don't as it's no one's concern or business and if you
    knew all the details in this matter you would understand what really happened. Had I sold them to him
    sight unseen it could be something else but he was here and checked everything out. I even gave him a
    bunch of stuff for free and he stayed overnight on my boat and had dinner with us. I feel violated but
    if he would have called and returned EVERYTHING within a reasonable time I probably would have agreed
    to reverse the deal. I wonder if he did the same thing with Ed Gaito when he bought his boat from Ed.

The lesson learned here is the old story..... "let no good deed go unpunished". BTW the set that he
    agreed did in fact have a 2" bore in his post came off my 48 MY and I know they were somewhat under
    sized for my boat which is why I bought a brand new set of Michigan Nibral props. Also he did know
    that he could not use them without a bushing since his boat has 1 3/4" shafts so that excuse also is
    lame. Since you seem to agree with him that after a half a year that he should still have return
    option, just ask yourself.....would you do it. For what he paid I could have gotten more than double
    from a prop shop but I thought that I was being a good guy...never again....

Walt

Yes I’d give him his money back absolutely!
    Do the right thing!

I have never bragged about what I have and what I don't as it's no one's concern or business and if you
    knew all the details in this matter you would understand what really happened. Had I sold them to him
    sight unseen it could be something else but he was here and checked everything out. I even gave him a
    bunch of stuff for free and he stayed overnight on my boat and had dinner with us. I feel violated but
    if he would have called and returned EVERYTHING within a reasonable time I probably would have agreed
    to reverse the deal. I wonder if he did the same thing with Ed Gaito when he bought his boat from Ed.

The lesson learned here is the old story..... "let no good deed go unpunished". BTW the set that he
    agreed did in fact have a 2" bore in his post came off my 48 MY and I know they were somewhat under
    sized for my boat which is why I bought a brand new set of Michigan Nibral props. Also he did know
    that he could not use them without a bushing since his boat has 1 3/4" shafts so that excuse also is
    lame. Since you seem to agree with him that after a half a year that he should still have return
    option, just ask yourself.....would you do it. For what he paid I could have gotten more than double

Walt
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

You feel violated? You represented them on here as 2" you took his money for props that were not as represented. He trusted you as a respected HOF member. Sure it took him a couple months to get them to the prop guy but why would he question what you told him?
    QUIT CRYING LIKE A B*^ch PUT YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES ON AND GIVE HIM HIS MONEY BACK!!!!

Walt

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

I am a Yankee I would give you your money back and bought you dinner for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by Seapig100; 04-19-2018 at 07:46 AM.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me (from these exchanges) that this was a package deal sale (with extra items thrown in) where Krushter was able to examine the items before he bought them. I would bet my last dollar that Walt would never knowingly mislead anyone about anything, and neither would Krush, for that matter. Given this was a package deal purchase, how would one even go about determining an amount to refund?

I speak as Southern as anybody on here (even more so when I take a notion or am trying to throw off a Yankee to get the best of him), but I don't think expecting, let alone demanding a refund with so much time passed is reasonable. Let me put that another way, that chit just ain't right, and neither is airing this dirty laundry on this here Hatteras discussing place.

Y'all behave, and don't make me get y'all together and bang yer heads together. Sell them props, buy some drinks, shake hands, and make the HOF great again!
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93