Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 24 X 24 props

Talking Re: 24 X 24 props

What Randy said it was not very appropriate was not going to say anything but I have been on this site for 5 years now and feel like I know both of them and appreciate their comments and have learned from them on many subjects and feel like both are honorable men.But then again what do I know I sat on my Grandmas front porch ever Sunday after dinner and listen to the old men talk and I was 12 years old before anyone ever mention we lost the war?
    Bob

Re: 24 X 24 props

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me (from these exchanges) that this was a package deal sale (with extra items thrown in) where Krushter was able to examine the items before he bought them. I would bet my last dollar that Walt would never knowingly mislead anyone about anything, and neither would Krush, for that matter. Given this was a package deal purchase, how would one even go about determining an amount to refund?
    Hey Bird, let's repeat the facts.

1) My boat has 2 inch shafts and uses 23x24 props
    2) In the quote below, we see a pair of 24x23 for 2inch shaft props are for sale. We also see he has other props from previous boats (which I was offered for sale)
    3) In total, 3 sets off props were offered for sale, with all being advertised as 2inch shaft, and approximately 24x23 (possibly 23x24, 24x24, etc)
    4) It is not possible for the average boater (or even a prop expert) to visually ascertain the diamter/pitch and bore of a prop
    5) The price for each set of props was explicitly established. This was not a "package deal".

The above is irrefutable.

Now, if the quote below read "I have a pair of 24x19 props on 2.25" shaft", I would NEVER had responded that I was interested. Heck, even if the props were 2inch shaft but 24x19 (which they are as shown in PropScan report), I NEVER would have responded. I have no use for 19" or 20" pitch props.

Additionally, if I had been told at the time of my "inspection" that the seller was unsure of the exact specs of the props, I would have made faster effort to get a prop shop to inspect them. As I said above, I was told these props were off his old boats (as confirmed in the quote below) and they all were 2" shaft and around 24x23. Why would I have any reason to doubt that? I'm buying from a fellow forum member, not a stranger off craiglist.

My boats were all in the water until December. I took the damage props off my boats and the 3 sets of advertised 2inch 24x23 props to the shop in one trip (the shop is over 100 miles away). Again, the delay was because I had no reason to have the shop inspect my props immediately after purchase because I was ASSURED they would fit my boat. Price/package deal/buying other items is irrelevant and a diversion.

I did visually look at these props when I bought them. No dings or damage. I challenge any person on this forum to to tell me the pitch and bore of propellers by looking at the blades/hub. There were NO STAMPS on the props.

I never changed my mind on my purchase. I paid for something completely different than I was sold. Had one of the other people in this thread bought these props and stored them in their bilge for spares, they would've had the same nasty surprise when they tried to install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I have a pair of 24x 23 four blade props that have been redone and not put on a boat since. These unfortunately are for 2" shafts but I understand they can be used with optional bushings. If you are interested let me know. These were one of many sets that I had for one of my previous boats and my present boat uses 26" dia. They are in NJ in Michigan boxes and can be shipped (expensive) butpick up would be preferable.

Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Walt, I sent you a PM. I'm interested in these props! ~krush
    Last edited by krush; 04-20-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Hey Bird, let's repeat the facts.

1) My boat has 2 inch shafts and uses 23x24 props
    2) In the quote below, we see a pair of 24x23 for 2inch shaft props are for sale. We also see he has other props from previous boats (which I was offered for sale)
    3) In total, 3 sets off props were offered for sale, with all being advertised as 2inch shaft, and approximately 24x23 (possibly 23x24, 24x24, etc)
    4) It is not possible for the average boater (or even a prop expert) to visually ascertain the diamter/pitch and bore of a prop
    5) The price for each set of props was explicitly established. This was not a "package deal".

The above is irrefutable.

Now, if the quote below read "I have a pair of 24x19 props on 2.25" shaft", I would NEVER had responded that I was interested. Heck, even if the props were 2inch shaft but 24x19 (which they are as shown in PropScan report), I NEVER would have responded. I have no use for 19" or 20" pitch props.

Additionally, if I had been told at the time of my "inspection" that the seller was unsure of the exact specs of the props, I would have made faster effort to get a prop shop to inspect them. As I said above, I was told these props were off his old boats (as confirmed in the quote below) and they all were 2" shaft and around 24x23. Why would I have any reason to doubt that? I'm buying from a fellow forum member, not a stranger off craiglist.

My boats were all in the water until December. I took the damage props off my boats and the 3 sets of advertised 2inch 24x23 props to the shop in one trip (the shop is over 100 miles away). Again, the delay was because I had no reason to have the shop inspect my props immediately after purchase because I was ASSURED they would fit my boat. Price/package deal/buying other items is irrelevant and a diversion.

I did visually look at these props when I bought them. No dings or damage. I challenge any person on this forum to to tell me the pitch and bore of propellers by looking at the blades/hub. There were NO STAMPS on the props.

I never changed my mind on my purchase. I paid for something completely different than I was sold. Had one of the other people in this thread bought these props and stored them in their bilge for spares, they would've had the same nasty surprise when they tried to install them.
    It don't make no never mind, and reading it again just made me think I still need to get you two boys together over a sodie pop or sumthin'. Walt can speak for himself, but I'm sure there was no northern trickery involved here.

As for the package deal being irrelevant and a diversion, are you impunerating my attempts to mediate this saturation?

I'm just trying to hep.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by BOATER BOB View Post
    What Randy said it was not very appropriate was not going to say anything but I have been on this site for 5 years now and feel like I know both of them and appreciate their comments and have learned from them on many subjects and feel like both are honorable men.But then again what do I know I sat on my Grandmas front porch ever Sunday after dinner and listen to the old men talk and I was 12 years old before anyone ever mention we lost the war?
    Bob
    Us losing the war of northern aggression represented the birth of fake news. I'd point out how we really did win, but it wouldn't be politically correct or have anything to do with propellers or Hatteras yachts.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Wow. This makes me feel young again. Like I'm a 16 year old girl in highschool.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Wow. This makes me feel young again. Like I'm a 16 year old girl in highschool.
    You felt like a 16 year old girl in high school? I am NOT going to call you Scotti should you decide to make the switch!

Okay, I've had lunch and pondered on this as bit. With all due respect to Walt, I think the right thing to do would be to refund the amount of the propellers in question. If they were represented to be one thing but turned out to be something else, it's sort of a no-brainer IMO, even with it not being a case of willful misrepresentation. Given the props weren't stamped, it's understandable why Krush would wait so long to discover this information and was relying on the seller (a very knowledgeable one) who had used them on another boat at some point. His point about how this would have played out had someone bought them as a spare set and never fitted them is very valid. In short, it could have been worse or even disastrous.

I'm still up for a beer or two and some good ole fashioned noggin knockin', though.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Remember it's all in how you feel today. If I want to feel like a 16 year old girl I have every right to. As I now feel like a dog I'm going to go out and pee in my yard.

Weather it's buyer beware or seller ignorance there's no way everyone will be happy. I don't know of too many boats using 2.25 inch shafts but I'm sure someone somewhere with a boat may one day have a use for them. It's just who gets to hold on to them until that happens.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I just realized this is ALL Charlie's fault for starting this thread. I think he should buy Walt dinner and give Krush his money back.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93