Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surveys

Surveys

I am in the process of selling my boat. Potential buyer requested a survey be done for insurance purposes, no problem. As we move closer to the date, next week, he now wants a comprehensive engine survey also. I had a bad experience when that was done on my last boat sale 11 years ago where the engine surveyor did some damage and would not cover the costs of repair.

What is the responsibility of a surveyor if damages are done? My concern is what happened last time and a repeat of same. Is there anyway I can protect myself?

RR

Re: Surveys

Make sure the engine surveyor is not a fly by night and ask what process they have for repairing issues caused by the survey
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Best protection is being onboard and not letting the surveyor do any thing that you feel is out of line.
    I have told many that I would not do some that is not in the normal operation of the boat.
    A survey is to see if everything operates correctly, not to see if they can break it.

I agree with captidds it is your boat and you should have the last word on what is done. I am a surveyor and am very careful to leave the boat I survey as I found it, including remaking beds when I have to get under them etc. I had a survey done on my last boat when I sold it and I threw the surveyor off the boat for some things he did wrong and insisted the buyer get another surveyor and they did and all was well in the end with the deal. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thanks for the replies.

I made a decision today after a lot of thought and decided not to sell the boat to this buyer. Wrong boat for him and I just did not feel right about it on many levels. I have bought and sold cars, boats houses and horses and this is the first time I have ever made a decision like this one. Had nothing to do with the money as it was a full price deal. Just crazy I guess.

R

This is understandable. I once almost sold a 100 year-old house to a couple that had only purchased brand new houses in the past. It was obvious that this was going to be a disaster. They wanted every part and system of the house 'certified' (whatever that means) and simply could not understand why some of the floors had some slope to them, why all of the windows were not the same age, etc. It became so clear that I strongly suggested that they look for something much newer or build a new house themselves.

A good decision. Hopefully you didn't give them any builders' names as they would probably hate you for doing it. LOL

Agree wholeheartedly. Some buyers are just not worth the trouble.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by roundIII View Post
    Had nothing to do with the money as it was a full price deal.
    Right up until the survey.

If you had that uneasy feeling there's a reason.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Honestly , it depends on what you are selling and for what price. ......Pat