Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Blue Water brand bottom paint...any experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    I had the bottom of a Tiara done in Baltimore area using Bluewater. Four months later in Florida, the boat was hauled for survey and the surveyor noted significant wear on the bottom paint with growth.
    That was the one and only time I had a boat painted with Bluewater..
    Which Blue Water paint was used, they have multiple products, including a cheap product meant for 1 season.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Can't answer that question but from my current perspective....I'm guessing the cheap one!!
    It was applied by a yard near Baltimore and I gave them my trust----and money.

Fool me once shame on you. So I'm not one to switch from a paint that works.

Considering your location micron 66 is not an option. CSC is probably the best for the area. Try the other once and then you'll know if it works in your area.

Sometimes the money you save is not worth the bad experience but you have to look at the equation and decide for your self.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
    I don't know, bobk. I had the Hatteras painted in Cortez, Fl in October, 2015 and the boat was in Ft,Myers until April when we boated with tender in tow around Florida to Staniel Cay for a month and then back to Ft.Myers. When we were hauled in May for storage, the running gear paint was almost all in place and the hull paint was unblemished. Acknowledged...I cruised the Tiara at 26 kts and the Hatteras at 17.
    hi Bugsy....what yard at Cortez Fl. did you use ...Fernando from Cortez Cove Marina....and what kind of paint did you use we need to have our bottom painted and i think i prefer a hard paint instead of Ablative cause we have our bottom cleaned every month in the off season and twice a month in the summer we are up in the Bradenton River and the water here gets very warn in the summer and is very brackish...
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

Joe...

Yes...I went to Cortez (Yacht Solutions---Fernando) and was happy with the bottom job. The paint is ablative. They etched and then painted the running gear with Pettit Vivid using Tie Coat 6627. The bottom was done with Micron CSC. I wasn't happy with the fiberglass work which was the reason I went there and for me, the communication level was somewhat less than desired but credit where credit is due....the paint job was reasonably priced and well done.

Season over. In the water about 8 months. Not a real tough test, because it's mostly fresh and not a long stay. But no cleaning over the summer and some boats got a few barnacles. First pic is before, and the rest are after. No pressure washing, never cleaned the scum line or dove the boat. What you see is how it came out of the water. So far, I'm happy with Blue Water brand and will keep using it. I'll slap on a coat or two before going back in the water.

Word of advice: If possible, let the paint dry a few days between coats. And then let it dry for a while before putting in. Otherwise it is very soft and the travel lift straps disturb it.

How did it look on the metal parts underwater? When it get fouling, that's where it is.

I had a can of Micron CRC that I was using up and slapped it on the props, struts, shafts, etc (yes, just slobbered it on). I'd say 50-60% of it blew off (as expected). The thru-hulls the paint stayed on very well.

The tide goes out and the boat sits in the mud quite often here. Didn't take any paint off. This stuff is nearly half the price of Micron CRC. It goes on nice. I didn't do a full fancy prep. I just sanded the bottom to roughen it up with palm DA.

I forgot to mention, there is 1 coat of red under the 2-3 coats of blue.