Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Longevity question on combined seacock and strainer

[h=2]Longevity question on combined seacock and strainer[/h]
    I have a 42 LRC with a combined tri-flanged seacock and strainer. It is original from 1981 and looks just fine (apart from being more green than bronze, but I guess that's normal as all bronze exposed to moisture turns green over time), and also the seacock moves freely. Hoses were replaced a few years back and also seems fine. There are no visible leaks either part.

I will have the boat lifted in the spring and so I ask your advice;
    1. what is the best way to properly inspect a thru-hull and seacock? what are signs of end-of-life?
    2. are these Groco equipment (Is this what Hatteras used as standard?) It looks similar from shape, but I haven't looked closely from markings on the equipment.
    3. what are the benefits for tri-flanged thru-hull vs a circular one? I ask this because I haven't seen anything but circular ones here in Norway.

Thanks
    Kristian

Re: Longevity question on combined seacock and strainer

When they are closed, does water flow stop?
    When they are opened does water flow start?
    If yes to both, leave them alone.

Some times the compromised material is on the surface, sometimes not. 30 years is a long time. Maybe you should remove them and get a better look. If they are ok, I'd doubt the hardware is, rebed them and put them back.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by mykim View Post
    When they are closed, does water flow stop?
    When they are opened does water flow start?
    If yes to both, leave them alone.
    Great advice.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thirty years is indeed a long time. I recently removed two from mine and found to be in great shape but I still would not reuse them and expect to get another 30 years. A few years probably.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Groco is the absolute standard for bronze marine hardware. Plus they are still in business and give great support by phone and email.

Test and visually inspect your fittings. If all looks good I would leave things alone. Before removing and disassembling I would email Groco and order their recommended replacement parts and gaskets. For example, the clear plastic barrel of the strainer may have become cloudy. This does not affect the functionality, but if you are taking it apart you may want new parts because if you reuse the old ones they may now leak and you do not want to do this twice.

My Groco strainers have been continuously in sea water for 51 years. I installed new engines 23 years ago and while the engines were out I had the strainers completely removed, inspected and rebuilt. They were in perfect condition. So unless I had some reason to question their condition (inoperative valve, pinhole pipe leaks, etc.) I would spend my money elsewhere.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Thanks for all advice! They work perfectly and are not corroded at all, so I'll leave them be for now. I found out now having a closer look they are in fact perko, not graco. Still, quality products it seems 👍

Yes, I would say they are fine and would not consider age as a reason to replace. Green patina perfect; only worries would be pink patina. Since you are obviously conscientious, check the integrity of the bonding wires. Tug on wires at terminals and new terminals if required. And check with ohmmeter to verify nearly zero resistance to common ground.

Gary

If it aint broke don't fix it.

One of mine (out of 13 on board) didn't respond to grease at the last haul so I replaced it.
    I'm pretty sure it's the first one to be changed out. The boat is a '79.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331