Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Window Fuzz/trim?

I don't know what the correct name is for the fuzzy window seals in my 1975 SF, but I know they are difficult to get out. I hate the thought of trying install the new ones......surely there is an easy way! Has anybody got a easy solutuion?

Re: Window Fuzz/trim?

No easy way to do it. I've done one salon window and need to do the other one. SAMS has the stuff you need. "Monkey Fur?" I made a how to book with pictures and everything and I seem to have lost it. I thought I gave the Ft. Lauderdale SAMS a copy of it. I still have the tool I made to dig out the old stuff. PITA for sure.

CaptNed
    78 46 SF
    Last edited by Captned; 03-23-2009 at 02:54 PM.

3. Window Fuzz/trim?

Glad I did not read this before I did my job..I did not know it was supposed to be difficult so had little trouble. Not often that happens!!!

I grabbed an end of each fuzz strip with a needle nose pliers. Either the end of the window channel or at a weep hole/slot...Look closely and you'll see the surface fuzz is held in place via a plastic tab into a window frame slot along the length of the window frame. I sometimes pulled the fuzz IN the window channel out thru the window drain opening; on the opposite side of the window channel I pulled it horozontally across the window channel to get it started (out of the groove) then pulled up or down or across according to where I could get a bitof leverage. It broke a few times, but seemed to come out ok.
    Tucking or sliding the new channel in place (via a drain slot) is more time consuming but after fussing a bit I found a reasonably efficient method.I don't remember exactly how but I think I used a piece of 1/4 plywood a few inches wide like a putty knife to press it in place..

It's a good idea to vacuum or rinse the window channel with a hose to get out crud which collects there. That's also a good idea just before winter layup, if any, and again at the beginning of the season if your boat has been outside. The faster water gets out of the channel the less aluminum pitting of the frame.

I thought it was the easiest job I have had on our Hat. I hope you pulled the glass windows out. You have to jack the frame apart a tiny bit as it sags from the weight of the flybridge. I use 2 small wood blocks and a cheap, small bottle jack. Now lift the glass and pull it out. When the glasses are out it is simply a matter of pulling the fuzzies out with a needle nose pliers at the openings made for that purpose. I would also replace the nylon rubbing strips on the bottom of the tracks. You can see them after you remove the fuzzies. Sam's has both the fuzzies and the tracks. Thoroughly clean the entire aluminum track system. Install the nylon tracks first by laying them above their track, press on the nylon with a wood dowel or scrap of wood. Now tap the wood with a hammer to snap the lip of the nylon into the track. Continue this along the entire length of the track sections to clip them in. Now pull your new fuzzies into the track, re-install the glasses after you clean the edges good. Remove the jack and blocks and enjoy for another 5 years. Goodto blast the track with lots of water when you wash the deck. I can't believe the amount of crud I get out of those drains.

We'll Yhere Appears To Be Two Distinct Views On This.........i Wish Mine Was The Easy Version. I Think The Difference Must Be That Mine Have Deterioated To Bad. They Tear Apart When You Try To Pull Them Out Nor Will They Slide. I Am Afraid It Looks Like The Fish Hook For Me.

Yep, when they are shot, it's the only way. Good luck, I cut plywood to cover the windows because it took me more than one day to do it. I secured the plywood by making little latch type things and attaching them to the plywood and turned them from the inside. Hope this helps. When I was done, I didn't even want to do the other side. Still haven't.

They only cost 20 bucks, why not replace them every 3 or 4 years. It gives you a chance to get the dirt out, clean the window edges, etc. Now they wont be rotten and awful to remove. It takes about 40 minutes to do one complete window assy. if you have the jack, blocks, pliers, vacuum, and of course the new fuzzies.

I have been smiling and even laughing at some of the discussion on removing and installing fuzz and glass replacement. I know in alot of cases it can make you want to cry while others actually turn out to be easy. The reason I am smiling and laughing is that I do this type of work alot through Steve at SAM'S. Its very interesting to hear how others have similar problems to mine and the solutions they come up with. If any of you really, really do not want to do the work, I can help you with you with the task. Also, if you start doing the work and discover that your frames need replacing, I can help you there also. I build, remove and install new replacement frames using original Hatteras extrusion. I can travel to your boat if so desired. I can be reached at 252-634-2214 or jwatts14@cox.net if anyone is interested. Thanks.
    Jimmy Watts

What is the purpose of the fuzz strip anyway?

The fuzz has a two fold operatioin. It keeps the glass from being able to move side to side thus hitting the extrusion track and possible being cracked. It also acts as a barrier trying to keep the cool air in and hot air out or vice a versa. If it serves any other purpose than mentioned above it might be there just to be aggreviating when removing and replacing it. Any other ideas?
    Jimmy Watts