Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: We just closed on our new-to-us 58MY!

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Depth is not really an issue. Large tugs and barges drawing 5' plus regularly run the ditch. There are a couple of places where you will need to travel at half tide or better. Spots that come to mind are the Mud River north of St Simons, Hells Gate, Jekyl Creek, the McCllelanville area, Lockwood's Folley and Shallotte. One tip for running the AICW is to remember the ATONs generally tell you where not to be. In general stay well off the day marks. I always scan the next day's route on Active Captain to get the latest on water depth issues.

There are a lot of good anchorages. Skipper Bob's anchorage book is a good reference for planning. Northbound from Ft Lauderdale, I have used the following:

Lake Boca, Mile 1047, Lantana, M 1031, North Palm, M 1012 (first cul de sac) on west, several areas in Hobe Sound, M 999 to 1001, Peck Lake, 992, Ft Pierce M 965, Vero Beach mooring balls, many places between M 925 to 878 protected by bridges, Daytona M 830 & 829, St Augustine mooring balls. Mile 769 inside of sand bar, Bells River M 716, Drum Point Island, M 711(VISIT Cumberland Island if the visitors dock has re-opened), Brickhill River M 696, Frederica River M 673, Back River, M 651, Duplin River, M 649, Wahoo River M 630, Kilkenny Creek M 613, Herb River M 584, Skull Creek M 553, Beaufort M536, Wimbee Creek M521, Mosquito Creek M513, Stono River M 472, Whiteside and Price Creek M~ 450, Minim Creek, M415, Thoroughfare Creek M 389, Carolina Beach 297 (moorings), MIle Hammock Bay M244 , Bear Creek M161, Slade Creek M 140 sticky mud), Alligator River M101 south or no winds only, Be SURE to honor the day marks north of the Alligator River Bridge, Buck Island M 58, Elizabeth City free docks, M51, Hospital Point mile 0, Willoughby Bay Chesapeake Mile 196, Hampton River above th3 public piers if you can get under the bridge. I have no issue with 22' air draft.

The Chesapeake has way to many places to suggest.

Bobk
    Congrats on your new adventure!! I am still a relative newbie here, but the wisdoms and worldly experiences the real salts have to offer on here are priceless. We became lucky stewards of our 58MY in October 2015 and have been living aboard since. I have already cut and pasted bobk's list of anchorages into my trip planning for this summer. Good luck and please let us know how your voyage progresses...
    Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Welcome aboard! You will love this forum as I know that I do.

Not trying to hijack this thread but BobK, that is a nice list you gave us and I don't doubt you have spent time at each one. I am curious what ground tackle are you using? What is your favorite anchor? I just have to ask....lol!

Jon
    Jon,

Yes, I have anchored in each of the creeks/rivers listed as well as many other places. Anchoring is so much easier than tying in and plugging in. We typically only take marinas when there are things we want to do, or nasty weather is upon us and we can't locate a suitable anchorage.

I use a 75# SuperMax with 200' of 3/8" 4G chain on the 48MY. Works like a dream except in thick grass where it takes some effort to get a set. In sand or mud it will set at 2/1 scope ( I test it each time, then let out anywhere from 5/1 to 10/1 depending on conditions.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Congratulations Looking Glass! Welcome to the club! There is no secret handshake, but you will need to fail a mental evaluation! Besides, your hand will be shaking every time you write a check!

I do believe your original question was regarding dockage here in South Florida. there is some fair priced dockage one county north of you in Palm Beach. (only 45 minutes by car from Lauderdale). Only 15 minutes from Palm Beach International.

Palm Beach Yacht Center in Hypoluxo has open slips at 89 cents a foot per day (transient rate). I know the marina people and can probably get you a better rate for a couple of months. 2 miles north of Palm Beach Yacht Center is Loggerhead Marina in Lantana which also has slips than can accommodate you right now. PBYC has a full service marina. Loggerhead Lantana is next door to a full service marina (Murelle's).

Both are excellent facilities at half the dockage rate of Ft. Lauderdale.
    Thanks. We ended up finding a private slip behind a person's house in Ft Lauderdale for $1400 per month. However, we will definitely check out your suggestions on our way up north in April.

Here is a video we took during survey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIZqc6vmHI

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    Thanks. We ended up finding a private slip behind a person's house in Ft Lauderdale for $1400 per month. However, we will definitely check out your suggestions on our way up north in April.
    I have a beautiful 55 foot slip in the California delta and pay 325.00 per month including electricity. You guys are pricey back there.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

WOW what a beautiful boat. Good luck with your maiden voyage and Don't forget me when you get to phila.

What a beautiful vessel. We took delivery two years ago of our 53" Hatters and have been living on board since. Never looked back. Unable to do extend cruising yet, just day cruising with friends and family. We are moored along the scenic Tchefuncte River. Enjoy the life style. Have a safe voyage.
    "Pier Pressure"
    1970 53MY
    Madisionville, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    Here is a video we took during survey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbIZqc6vmHI

I just watched the video and was shocked to see Seas The Moment. Loran & Pam were my dock neighbors at Ortega and then moved the boat to Ft Lauderdale to be closer to Bahamas & easier access to southern waters. They flew in from Colorado for East coast boating. Loran was having some health problems.

You got a great boat. Loran really took care of it doing much of the work himself and had upgraded a number of things. There are posts on the forum under the boat name.

Enjoy and stay safe when you head to Philly.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I have a beautiful 55 foot slip in the California delta and pay 325.00 per month including electricity. You guys are pricey back there.
    Just watched the video. What a beautiful boat.. Seven, I thought the SF Bay Area was expensive until we spent last summer in Newport Beach. $61per foot and you had to say yes right away because there was always a waiting list... This summer back to the Delta

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    $1400 was a steal - the marinas wanted $2500-3000. It is 1/3 the price in the Philly area.