Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: We just closed on our new-to-us 58MY!

Quote Originally Posted by wndsr View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the forums. We too are on the Chesapeake and located on the Patapsco in Baltimore. I want to encourage you to check out the Hatteras Classic Club and the Classic Yacht Club of America. Both have a very large consentration of mid atlantic members and both are a super group of people.

Welcome aboard!
    Baltimore is one of our favorite places to visit by boat! We often dock at Harbor East, on the other side of the Harbor from Patapsco.

We will definitely check out both of those clubs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    The red lights in the heads are most likely to tell you that the shower sump pump is running. At least that's what mine in my 1979 53 MY are for. Run one of the showers for a while and see if it lights up (also you should hear the shower sump pump run) it is really just a bilge pump in a small tank. Also the condensate for the AC units may drip into this sump tank as well (mine do).

Tim
    Thanks. That makes sense. There is a switch next to the lights, probably a manual switch for the pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Artzco View Post
    Yes, definitely check Active Captain.

The Conch House marina in St Augustine is open but Limited space due to severe storm damage.

Fernandina City Marina was severely damaged and not expected to open until Fall 2017.

Golden Isles Morningstar Marina, St Simons is a good stop with 1100' of transient dock & full services.
    http://www.morningstarmarinas.com/golden-isles/services
    Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

When "testing" the red lights keep in mind that the bulbs might be burnt out. If they are like mine , they are a neon type bulb and if so they are easily available at WW Grainger. The red lense cover simply screws off and the bulb has a bayonnet type base.

Depth is not really an issue. Large tugs and barges drawing 5' plus regularly run the ditch. There are a couple of places where you will need to travel at half tide or better. Spots that come to mind are the Mud River north of St Simons, Hells Gate, Jekyl Creek, the McCllelanville area, Lockwood's Folley and Shallotte. One tip for running the AICW is to remember the ATONs generally tell you where not to be. In general stay well off the day marks. I always scan the next day's route on Active Captain to get the latest on water depth issues.

There are a lot of good anchorages. Skipper Bob's anchorage book is a good reference for planning. Northbound from Ft Lauderdale, I have used the following:

Lake Boca, Mile 1047, Lantana, M 1031, North Palm, M 1012 (first cul de sac) on west, several areas in Hobe Sound, M 999 to 1001, Peck Lake, 992, Ft Pierce M 965, Vero Beach mooring balls, many places between M 925 to 878 protected by bridges, Daytona M 830 & 829, St Augustine mooring balls. Mile 769 inside of sand bar, Bells River M 716, Drum Point Island, M 711(VISIT Cumberland Island if the visitors dock has re-opened), Brickhill River M 696, Frederica River M 673, Back River, M 651, Duplin River, M 649, Wahoo River M 630, Kilkenny Creek M 613, Herb River M 584, Skull Creek M 553, Beaufort M536, Wimbee Creek M521, Mosquito Creek M513, Stono River M 472, Whiteside and Price Creek M~ 450, Minim Creek, M415, Thoroughfare Creek M 389, Carolina Beach 297 (moorings), MIle Hammock Bay M244 , Bear Creek M161, Slade Creek M 140 sticky mud), Alligator River M101 south or no winds only, Be SURE to honor the day marks north of the Alligator River Bridge, Buck Island M 58, Elizabeth City free docks, M51, Hospital Point mile 0, Willoughby Bay Chesapeake Mile 196, Hampton River above th3 public piers if you can get under the bridge. I have no issue with 22' air draft.

The Chesapeake has way to many places to suggest.

Bobk
    Last edited by bobk; 02-27-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme View Post
    When "testing" the red lights keep in mind that the bulbs might be burnt out. If they are like mine , they are a neon type bulb and if so they are easily available at WW Grainger. The red lense cover simply screws off and the bulb has a bayonnet type base.
    Thanks, that is good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Depth is not really an issue. Large tugs and barges drawing 5' plus regularly run the ditch. There are a couple of places where you will need to travel at half tide or better. Spots that come to mind are the Mud River north of St Simons, Hells Gate, Jekyl Creek, the McCllelanville area, Lockwood's Folley and Shallotte. One tip for running the AICW is to remember the ATONs generally tell you where not to be. In general stay well off the day marks. I always scan the next day's route on Active Captain to get the latest on water depth issues.

There are a lot of good anchorages. Skipper Bob's anchorage book is a good reference for planning. Northbound from Ft Lauderdale, I have used the following:

Lake Boca, Mile 1047, Lantana, M 1031, North Palm, M 1012 (first cul de sac) on west, several areas in Hobe Sound, M 999 to 1001, Peck Lake, 992, Ft Pierce M 965, Vero Beach mooring balls, many places between M 925 to 878 protected by bridges, Daytona M 830 & 829, St Augustine mooring balls. Mile 769 inside of sand bar, Bells River M 716, Drum Point Island, M 711(VISIT Cumberland Island if the visitors dock has re-opened), Brickhill River M 696, Frederica River M 673, Back River, M 651, Duplin River, M 649, Wahoo River M 630, Kilkenny Creek M 613, Herb River M 584, Skull Creek M 553, Beaufort M536, Wimbee Creek M521, Mosquito Creek M513, Stono River M 472, Whiteside and Price Creek M~ 450, Minim Creek, M415, Thoroughfare Creek M 389, Carolina Beach 297 (moorings), MIle Hammock Bay M244 , Bear Creek M161, Slade Creek M 140 sticky mud), Alligator River M101 south or no winds only, Be SURE to honor the day marks north of the Alligator River Bridge, Buck Island M 58, Elizabeth City free docks, M51, Hospital Point mile 0, Willoughby Bay Chesapeake Mile 196, Hampton River above th3 public piers if you can get under the bridge. I have no issue with 22' air draft.

The Chesapeake has way to many places to suggest.

Bobk
    Thank you for taking the time with such an informative post. It is very helpful. I plan to research your list thoroughly. Thanks.

I forgot to include Church Creek in the anchorage list.

You also will want an up-to-date copy of the bridge opening schedules. If you can't find one, send me your address and I'll send you a copy that was up to date in October last year.

Bobk
    Last edited by bobk; 02-28-2017 at 05:35 PM.

Congratulations Looking Glass! Welcome to the club! There is no secret handshake, but you will need to fail a mental evaluation! Besides, your hand will be shaking every time you write a check!

I do believe your original question was regarding dockage here in South Florida. there is some fair priced dockage one county north of you in Palm Beach. (only 45 minutes by car from Lauderdale). Only 15 minutes from Palm Beach International.

Palm Beach Yacht Center in Hypoluxo has open slips at 89 cents a foot per day (transient rate). I know the marina people and can probably get you a better rate for a couple of months. 2 miles north of Palm Beach Yacht Center is Loggerhead Marina in Lantana which also has slips than can accommodate you right now. PBYC has a full service marina. Loggerhead Lantana is next door to a full service marina (Murelle's).

Both are excellent facilities at half the dockage rate of Ft. Lauderdale.

Welcome aboard! You will love this forum as I know that I do.

Not trying to hijack this thread but BobK, that is a nice list you gave us and I don't doubt you have spent time at each one. I am curious what ground tackle are you using? What is your favorite anchor? I just have to ask....lol!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia