Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: We just closed on our new-to-us 58MY!

If this is your first trip up, I would recommend that you do the intracoastal route. Normally, I run outside to avoid no wake zones, bridges etc. but an occasional run on the inside offers so much more to see, especially since you say it's your first run up. Many forum members still make the annual trek and are much more up to date on where to stay and what to see. I'm sure they will respond to this thread. Bobk makes the trip every year from Baltimore to Port St Lucie, Fla and probably knows every good anchorage/dockage as well as land borne activities. A month to do the trip is great. I wish you a wonderful safe trip and look forward to you posting a log regularly so we can follow you vicariously.

Walt

Welcome aboard! Several of us here have the same vessel. Let us know when you have questions. We love to help.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Congratulations and welcome aboard.

If you let us know how fast you expect we might be able to make suggestions for stops. Cities and towns that might be worth a visit depending on your interests include Stuart, Ft Pierce, Vero, Daytona, St Augustine, Fernandina Beach, Savannah, Beaufort SC, Charleston, Georgetown SC on a weekend, Southport, Norfolk/Portsmouth, Annapolis, Baltimore, Cape May.

There are many good or even great anchorages along the AICW route. Get familiar with Active Captain if you have not used it. It also has current fuel prices.

Bobk

Congratulations and welcome to the forums. We too are on the Chesapeake and located on the Patapsco in Baltimore. I want to encourage you to check out the Hatteras Classic Club and the Classic Yacht Club of America. Both have a very large consentration of mid atlantic members and both are a super group of people.

Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    If this is your first trip up, I would recommend that you do the intracoastal route. Normally, I run outside to avoid no wake zones, bridges etc. but an occasional run on the inside offers so much more to see, especially since you say it's your first run up. Many forum members still make the annual trek and are much more up to date on where to stay and what to see. I'm sure they will respond to this thread. Bobk makes the trip every year from Baltimore to Port St Lucie, Fla and probably knows every good anchorage/dockage as well as land borne activities. A month to do the trip is great. I wish you a wonderful safe trip and look forward to you posting a log regularly so we can follow you vicariously.

Walt
    Thanks for the advise. We would like to spend time in the ICW. We were just concerned that we might run into draft and bridge issues. If others know of good stretchs to use, or avoid, we would be very interested. We know for sure we plan to duck in Morehead thru Norfolk, and then up the Chesapeake.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Welcome aboard! Several of us here have the same vessel. Let us know when you have questions. We love to help.
    That's great! I know I will have a lot of questions. I am still trying to figure out what the little red lights in the heads are for! :-)

The red lights in the heads are most likely to tell you that the shower sump pump is running. At least that's what mine in my 1979 53 MY are for. Run one of the showers for a while and see if it lights up (also you should hear the shower sump pump run) it is really just a bilge pump in a small tank. Also the condensate for the AC units may drip into this sump tank as well (mine do).

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post

If you let us know how fast you expect we might be able to make suggestions for stops. Cities and towns that might be worth a visit depending on your interests include Stuart, Ft Pierce, Vero, Daytona, St Augustine, Fernandina Beach, Savannah, Beaufort SC, Charleston, Georgetown SC on a weekend, Southport, Norfolk/Portsmouth, Annapolis, Baltimore, Cape May.

There are many good or even great anchorages along the AICW route. Get familiar with Active Captain if you have not used it. It also has current fuel prices.

Bobk
    We plan to take it slow, hull speed, for the trip.

Thanks for the list of cities. We are looking forward to anchoring out. Our previous boat did not have a tender so we have never done it, other then for a few hours. If you know of good spots we would love to hear about them.

Get familiar with Active Captain if you have not used it. It also has current fuel prices.

Bobk
    I will check out Active Captain. Thanks,

Bobk
    Yes, definitely check Active Captain.

The Conch House marina in St Augustine is open but Limited space due to severe storm damage.

Fernandina City Marina was severely damaged and not expected to open until Fall 2017.

Golden Isles Morningstar Marina, St Simons is a good stop with 1100' of transient dock & full services.
    http://www.morningstarmarinas.com/golden-isles/services
    Art