Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie question

Newbie question

Is it a problem putting some sort of filter media in vents to keep unwanted buggs and such from entering boat. And if yes anyone have any recommendations.

Re: Newbie question

Are you speaking of the engine vents? If so mine have wood frames with window screen on the inside.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Yes the engine vents and the other clam shell covers for the other exhaust blowers.

A number of friends shove foam rubber into the openings when not running. It keeps birds and bugs out. WARNING! Make sure to remove all the foam rubber before starting up. Your motors need the air intake to run.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks, I will go today see if i can find some type foam to cut out and install. Gotta stop overthinking.

Your boat is one year older than mine so I assume you have the same er vents I have and what I did is cut a piece of the foil coated sheet insulation sold at Home Depot and taped the edges and put it on top of the air inlet in the engine room. Easy to remove and set on the floor when running. Put a weight on it to keep the wind from blowing it off. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Great idea John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

That is a convenient way to cover ER vents . Thanks