Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: CPES Question

Re: CPES Question

Is this stuff a thick or thin material or do you mix it to your liking? Does it separate and run out cracks it you mix it thick? I have a 4 inch thick laminated door and the core is bad at one hinge. Its a vertical door and I'm afraid that if I fill it with this it might run out any small cracks in the bottom or sides. I don't know how big a void is inside the door. Should I or can I do it in multi layered applications? Can I put a small amount in first to seal the bottom, sides or where ever it will leak out and then fill up the rest of the cavity after the first application has set up. Or do I just put it all in on the first shot and hope for the best?

BILL

2. Re: CPES Question

CPES has the consistency of water. That's part of why it works so well.....

Bill,

CPES is a sealer. Its thin and will run if it can't absorb into the wood quick enough. I always brush over what I'm treating a few minutes after the initial application because of runs. They...The Rot Doctor, make something else that will better suit your needs. Check their website. Its supposed to do what you're looking to do.

Jack

It was finally warm enough to apply CPES today. Used the cold weather formula.

First impressions:
    - Mixes up easy
    - Awful Odor - Glad I was outside
    - Applies like water- very runny, need to mask & cover adjacent areas
    - Soaks into wood like a sponge
    - Layed down 4 applications in 2 hours
    - Tacks up after a few hours
    - Misc drips need to be wiped up with an acetone soaked rag. Could not remove spilled material with a dry rag.

Should be cured in a few days and will then try their FILL-IT fairing putty.

So far, so good.

I learned something from this...To do the edges and impregnate the plywood after drilling small holes its really easy to put on using a 30 to 50cc syringe with a heavy gauge needle. (Got it from work). I filled the syringe and drug the needle along the edge while depressing on the plunger of the syringe. Less runs and I can direct the application better, ie in the nooks and crannies of the plywood and the holes I drilled. The syringe was only good for one application, obviously, because the cpes cured and bound itself to the rubber and plastic of the syringe.