Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Kohler geneset fuel pump problem

Today I removed my Kohler geneset casing cover to sneak around the engine (it is tight fit on my 37C) and I found some diesel below the generator and traces of diesel under the fuel pump. I cleaned/dried it all and wanted to start it to see where is the diesel leaking from but was unable to start it, so I figured out the pump isn't working. I took it home and opened up to see inside it.

I found that the shaft isn't centered (picture 2) and that the centrifugal plates (that I assume are pushing fuel) are also offset (reminded me of the raw water pump where rubber impeller blades are bent on the bottom between suction and delivery ports) so this may be eccentric type pump.

The motor is turning, the filter is clean, but it leaks somewhere. The shaft isn't wobbly sideways which points towards eccentric type pump, but it does move up/down a millimetre or two.

Any leads wold be much appreciated.
    Attached Images
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Kohler geneset fuel pump problem

So, I googled a little and looked up the Carter (that is the make) rotary vane pumps with a wet motor which seem to be eccentric pumps, so this sort of answers my question about offset shaft. I guess I will have to find where the leak comes from. Gasket looked solid though.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: Kohler geneset fuel pump problem

If its hard to hard to get to replacement should be considered.

You can also likely can get that pump at a good auto parts store for a few , likely more, dollars less that from Kohler.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY