Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How often do you check your engine room while underway?

Those that do not have cameras fitted in their E/R how often do you take a peek inside your E/R while underway? I usually do it every 3-4 hours. I'd be doing even more often if it is not too complicated lifting the floor board and going down between two engines, especially at full speed when the boat trims backward. While all of my remote gauges are working well I have a fobia of failure even with gauges working. I check level in coolant expansion tanks, I/R reading of thermostats, I/R reading of prop shaft packing gland, look at fuel filters bowls and vacuum gauges, general look for any leaks of liquids and gas and compare local temp/oil pressure gauge reading with those on the control console, just in case. Even with cameras fitted you cannot get everything as you do when there in person.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: How often do you check your engine room while underway?

I check every hour. for fuel quality, fuel pressure, vacuum pressure on the racors, oil pressure,
    water leaks, bildges. broken clamps. exhaust leaks.

henry

It depends. If I'm running at hull speed all day ; once before starting out, and again at the end of the day.
    If we are at a true cruise speed up on plane, hourly.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I start the engines from the engine room on the first start of the day and monitor the manual gauges there as the engines settle to idle - maybe 30 seconds for each engine. Then, at the helm I check those gauges to see that their readings correlate to the ER gauges. I don't mean that they necessarily show the same readings - just that they are in the general area.

I then may (or may not) check the ER once during the day. Any subsequent restarts for the day I perform from the helm. I don't check the ER's on any regular basis in normal running unless we do something different operationally. For example, normally we operate at/below hull speed (for fuel consideration). If we come up on plane, I will check the ERs while we are at WOT to see how things look/sound after we have been on plane for a couple of minutes. But I don't recheck based on any schedule. Some days the only ER check is when I started the engines.

IMO, one important thing is to make sure the helm gauges are working. Again, it doesn't matter WHAT they indicate as long as they move appropriately. If, for example the manual ER oil gauge shows 50PSI while cruising and 15 at idle, as long as the helm gauges track in a similar manner, it doesn't matter if they show a different numerical reading. You can mentally do the correlation or do the old airplane/race car trick of rotating the gauges so that all needles point to approximately 12 o'clock when in the normal range.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Before I installed the CCTV cameras I chek it on the first 1/2 hour after we are on our way. After that every hour. You will be amazed what can develop on that first 1/2 hour. Now that I have the cameras I go check it every time I have to go to the head . ironically that trsnalate to every hour!!. Dam I hate getting old !!

I check the gauges every few minutes and check each engine room every 30 minutes. Always done it that way, I guess I always will.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I don't set a timer, but I try to take a glance every 1/2 to 1 hr. My salon deck has a couple of small hatches (about 6x6") that I can get my face and flashlight into. That's nice because you don't have to open a big hatch and blast the passengers with the sound of screaming diesels. Guys with separate engine room access are better off that way.

Mostly I'm doing an all senses check. Look: for leaks, smoke etc. Smell: for exhaust, antifreeze, oil. Listen: for anomalous sounds (necessary experience comes from doing these checks). Feel: for unusual vibrations. Taste:,.. okay maybe don't taste anything down there.

Occasionally I'll look at the gauges on the Racors, but since they have drag needles and I'm particular about the fuel I put in the boat I don't concern myself a lot. If your equipment is healthy and well maintained there really shouldn't be much to worry about. But obviously it's sensible to do routine checks to catch anything that might go awry.

I also make it a point to put an eye and ear on things after shutdown. Without the noise and motion sometimes you pick up on things like a packing leak or similar subtle issues that get covered up by the mayhem in a live engine room.

One thing that surprised me during one of these inspections is that an LED MagLite flashes. The shafts seem to turn slowly when you know they should be just a blur. It's a strobe effect from the LED and it's kind of disconcerting until your brain puts the anomaly between sight and sound together.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

8. Re: How often do you check your engine room while underway?

I'm with Mike P. I don't venture into the ER after start-up, I rely on my instruments, as well as my eyes and ears and feet (vibration, etc). I trust my gauges because I, like Mike, compare readings at start-up. Then, after a run, a thouough visible inspection for any anomolies. Of course, a clean ER and regular maintenance are a given. What I want to avoid is personal injury that may occur in a hot and running ER. Given my confidence in my boats's condition and instruments, I won't take that chance.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

modern CCTV cameras are cheap..some even move/zoom. I'm going to check into them since it's not easy to crawl around the entire engine room while underway. Maybe just get wireless and use a tablet to check. No need to waste MFD space for such things.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

It absolutely can't hurt anything to do ER checks hourly, but I'm with those who ask, why?

As was mentioned, checking a hot ER comes with its own risks, and if you just don't trust your gauges... buy some you trust. I realize it's an apple and oranges comparison in a way, but think of cars, trucks, airplanes that you certainly aren't going to check hourly. Please tell me you don't pop the hood on your diesel truck every hour, even if you're pulling a load.

I do daily ER checks before firing the engines/generator, and that's it... unless I see, hear, smell something that makes me worry, OR if there is a known issue which has yet to be addressed.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93