Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 53 my

Re: 53 my

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Loved the movie somewhere in time. Not sure how you will sell her with out s survey. You can't get insurance without one. Best of luck however.
    I don't know how you are going to get anyone to travel to look at her without pictures or an asking price. People like to have an idea of what you want and what it looks like prior to deciding to travel to see it.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    I don't know how you are going to get anyone to travel to look at her without pictures or an asking price. People like to have an idea of what you want and what it looks like prior to deciding to travel to see it.
    I agree, I'm I missing something here. Why would anyone buy a 53 without a survey.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I agree, I'm I missing something here. Why would anyone buy a 53 without a survey.
    Why would anyone buy any boat with out a survey, you definitely won't get insurance on it, you won't know the overall condition unless you are an expert yourself, and I'd want an engine survey also.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Look at some of the other for sale listings on this site. If you are serious about selling your boat, start by putting up a description of her and her equipment. Then when the weather improves, you can post photos. We have a number of people looking for 53 MYs so this is a good market, but you have to give folks something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    Why would anyone buy any boat with out a survey, you definitely won't get insurance on it, you won't know the overall condition unless you are an expert yourself, and I'd want an engine survey also.
    I bought mine without an engine survey and the only reason I got a hull survey was for insurance. Heck, I found more wrong with the boat that the surveyor missed than he found in his last ten surveys. IMO, most of them are not the greatest. Anyone with real expertise is not surveying pleasure craft, they are working as engineers or mechanics where they can make more money.

To each his own. If you feel more comfortable getting surveys, then do it. If you feel like you know what you're doing and you it doesn't bother you to take on the risk and save some money up front, go for it.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-13-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I won't self survey. If I'm the buyer I need to remove myself from the survey. I get emotionaly involved and distracted.

It's a good idea to have a survey though. Insurance requires it and you might as well get the benefit of it all in writing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I won't self survey. If I'm the buyer I need to remove myself from the survey. I get emotionaly involved and distracted.

It's a good idea to have a survey though. Insurance requires it and you might as well get the benefit of it all in writing.
    Like I said, I did pay for a hull survey. But I grew up around Detroits and felt confident I could tell what I was getting there so saved a couple of bucks and it worked out just fine. It depends on what you're comfortable with. Just saying, " I have no idea why someone would do this", doesn't mean there's only one way to go. Some people are willing to go it alone.
    Sky Cheney

I also didn't have a full engine survey buy had them looked at by a good Detroit guy.

All in all I didn't miss much without an engine survey but I did have oil samples done.

I figured a 41c with 8v53's running full RPM at wot and hitting 21 kts without overheating was enough.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I figured a 41c with 8v53's running full RPM at wot and hitting 21 kts without overheating was enough.
    Exactly!
    Sky Cheney

Sky I agree with you about surveyors and I am one. From what I read on this site probably at least half of you know more about boats than a lot of surveyors out there. Unless you have built boats all your life it's hard to have the real qualifications to be a good surveyor, book learning just doesn't cut it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.