Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 53 my

Re: 53 my

I bought my last 2 Hatt's without a survey but there were extenuating circumstances involved. One was bought from a bank and I got a smoking deal. The engine hours were less than 700 on each 6-71ti's which were for real and there was lots of receipts etc for various services that had been performed before the bankruptcy took place. The boat itself was not bad and didn't need a whole lot to make it fine. The other boat was my present 48 MY. It too was on land when I bought it and it had documentation showing a new long block assembly on the port side and a major overhaul on the STB side, with about 200 hrs and about one year since overhaul by a DD dealer in Montreal. The long block was only installed less than a year later. The generator was brand new and only had about 10 hrs on it. It was a desperation sale and I bought it right, but it needed lots of rehab which has been done. Neither boat has ever had a survey... my insurance agent just let it go, but I don't get insurance to make money on a boat so I only covered these boats for what I paid for them in order to make myself whole in case of a total loss. I must confess however that the 48 ended well but cost much more than I had originally considered in time, labor and money. so in fact I would have been better off buying one that was "ready to go" for more money thereby working far less and enjoying it more. My problem was that I violated my better judgement and was emotional with the purchase of the 48 and that's why I agree with Scott that you need to remove yourself from self surveys in most cases. BTW. my first Hatteras as I recall didn't require a survey either since I was the first owner. I learned after that that it's far better to let someone else take the initial hit and would probably not buy new again.

Walt

We will have to agree to disagree on this one, I would never buy a boat with out a survey by someone I feel is a competent surveyor. Yes, they can miss things no one is perfect but I feel safer knowing they and I both have looked over the boat. I would also have a survey done by an engine shop that specialized in the engines on the boat along with doing a full compression check. Again, things can slip by but I feel better by doing this.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I bought mine without an engine survey and the only reason I got a hull survey was for insurance.
    I got a survey just for insurance reasons (and the "insurance survey" is basically making sure the boat floats LOL). Sure the surveyor may know all kinds of ABYC mumbo jumbo, but I haven't met one yet that knows more than me about engines, systems, and what it really takes to fix something. Now, a Hatteras expert surveyor should know more about design flaws to look for. In the end, it's often merely a formality.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Talking Re: 53 my

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Wheeler View Post
    Only pictures I have are with family and friends and there is about a foot of snow that is hindering any boat visits at the moment to take more appropriate photos

I bought Somewhere in Time in 1991.l was told to go look her over and make an offer which I did.I then owned a 53 without any hassle whatever. There was no survey either.She came into the boat yard on her own power and I figured she would therefore be able to leave on her own power, which she did.I would like to sell her the same way but may be eventually forced to set a price.

I know this odd but being me an offer
    Is the boat stored at the Chester Marina? I used to slip my 32 Pacemaker at Ferry Point back in '88-'92. I'm less than an hour drive from Chester and might be interested. When would you be available to meet at the boat?

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    Is the boat stored at the Chester Marina? I used to slip my 32 Pacemaker at Ferry Point back in '88-'92. I'm less than an hour drive from Chester and might be interested. When would you be available to meet at the boat?

Mel
    Boat is at Chrisholm Marina and and of course I would meet you at your convenience.I am retired and live about twenty minutes from the yard

Another picture a little far away I think I have a better one but can't find it. Boat shows well from the outside.
    26 years of ownership and no pictures sorry but I think that is a little strange.

Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Byresch View Post
    How much are you asking for the boat and how about posting some pictures and details.
    No asking price.You know the prices better than I do. Insured for 150,000

I bought mine with no survey. First boat I'd ever bought. It can not only save you money on the survey it can make an owner willing to sell cheaper.

But as Sky said, on boats...they almost have to have been out of the water recently in order to insure it.
    Last edited by dcate; 02-18-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks. I have owned the boat for 26 years so know a good bit about the 53 s.she is insured by geico and of course I had a survey.

I know what these boats are advertised for but I prefer to show the boat and get let the buyer figure what she is worth to him

Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post

Mel
    I am available almost anytime.Come and take a look.Snow is pretty much gone