Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1994 Hatteras 42 cockpit MY...

Looking and learning about Hatteras

Tuga

Re: 1994 Hatteras 42 cockpit MY...

Don't know that particular boat, but two things jump out at me. One, it's severely overpriced unless that 2' cockpit is worth a ton of money over the 40DC (same boat without the cockpit). Two, the engine specs are contradictory. Says it has the "upgraded" 435 Cats in the description, but it shows 375's in the specs. I'd stay away from the 435's myself, and I'm betting most others on here would agree.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Randy,

I agree with you about the asking price being too high. Also, there are no pictures of the ER and no list of electronics brand names only general descriptions like GPS, radar, etc.

I am with you regarding the "upgraded" 435hp CATs. I would much prefer the 375hp ones.
    Question: Are the 435hp engines fitted with larger injectors? (is that what increases the hp?) If so, would changing out the larger injectors for the smaller ones fix anything? Or has the damage of overheating already been done. Would an oil analysis answer these questions?

I like the boat itself. I like the cockpit motor yacht configuration compared to a MY or DC.

Tuga

I can't tell you specifics as to what it takes to make a 375 into a 435 or vice versa, but I assume it has to with injectors and possibly boost pressure. I'm sure somebody will chime in on that topic. Then you're looking at prop changes as well. At 2,900 hours, it may not accomplish much in terms of gaining longevity, but it will depend on how the engines were maintained and operated.

You can buy a Series 1 non-cockpit version of that boat for half that with 375's. The floorplan is different, but I personally like the Series 1 layout better. I like a cockpit too, but a two foot cockpit is a glorified, enclosed swim platform.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Agree on the engine power ratings; 375 is fine, 435 is right up there with 485 DD 6-71s for reduced life. Except that you can't just replace the cylinders. I think 3208s are great engines, but every design has its limits. I also agree that a 2 foot "cockpit" is kind of a joke.

Price is too high, but maybe at the right price, if the engine serial numbers show them to be 375s; if they pass a serious survey they could have a fair amount of life left in them.

I have emailed the broker for the serial numbers on the engines. Hopefully, I will find out which engines it has.

I have found a fresh water 40' MY located in Lake Texoma, TX. It has low hours ad teak & holly floors. No cockpit but it appears to be a nice boat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...s#.WKcS-5giy5d

Tuga

I just spoke with the broker, and he said that the original engines were 435hp. The listing showing 375hp engines is a mistake.

The owner says he cruises the boat @ 2000 rpm and it is at 20 knots. He says the engines run good and have not given any problems.

Tuga

Yet.

You'd expect him to say that.

Agreed! I wll confine my search to boats with 375hp. I had a 1986 Bertram 38' with 3208s - 375hp. In 4 years of use no problems.

I have found 2 Hatteras 40' - one in Jacksonville, FL Karen Ann and the other is located in Lake Texoma, TX Both have 375 CATS the latter with 900 hours and it is a fresh water boat.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...acht-102870742

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...s#.WKnIMpgiy5d
    Last edited by Miss Lisa; 02-19-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Tuga

Just because it can make 485 doesn't mean the owner ran it there. I wouldn't toss one out just because of the rating. Very few owners run these boats at WOT. And the way the props work, even a few hundred RPM drop is much lower HP output.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381