Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Seeking 50 to 58 MY. Moving up from smaller boat.

These boats are all old, now, and many of them have had their engines majored. We've had quite a few discussion on this topic over the years, and (my impression) the consensus seems to be that if you are looking at a boat with DDs that have been majored (and almost all older Hatteras MYs had DDs in them from the factory; a few had big Cummins V8s) what you want to see is which shop did the engines, were they in-frame overhauls or did they come out, have they been surveyed ever after the overhauls, and how many hours since the overhauls. Not too surprisingly, the ideal boat in that situation would have a fairly recent (in terms of hours) overhaul of the engines, done by a reputable shop still in business, with full parts lists and service tickets showing what was done. AND a few hundred hours on them after the overhauls, just so you know everything was done right and that they have been used enough to be reliable performers since the overhauls. How's that for an earful...

With regard to repowering, the general consensus seems to be that Cummins C series or M series are the engines of choice. Personally, I'd be happy with either, providing they passed a serious survey by someone who knew their business. But there are literally hundreds of these boats out there with DDs in them, and while they are not the cheapest engines to run for fuel consumption, you can buy a LOT of fuel for the cost of a repower. If you find a solid clean boat, with a dated interior that you just have to redecorate, and the plant and generators etc etc are all in good shape, plus the exterior paint, you'd be in good shape with a boat like that. Later on, if you really love the boat, you could spring for the cost of new engines- and all the "while-you're-in-there's" that go with new engines.

Bryon, Hoop or anybody. Does anyone have any contact info on the 58 in Jax. Went by there a few days ago, but would go back if the info on the boat was worth the trip? Looked at a 81 58' in Jax but it was more of a project that we want to tackle. In Stuart looking at a 60 & a 61 today, then on to Jupiter to see a 58

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Bryon, Hoop or anybody. Does anyone have any contact info on the 58 in Jax. Went by there a few days ago, but would go back if the info on the boat was worth the trip? Looked at a 81 58' in Jax but it was more of a project that we want to tackle. In Stuart looking at a 60 & a 61 today, then on to Jupiter to see a 58
    Only information I know is the listing on Yachtworld:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...s#.WJinPxsrLcc

Good luck.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I think that 58YF in jax would be very worthy of a look.

I'm very familiar with the 58 Wide Beam in Jupiter. I heard the repowered 58 yacht fish in Jacksonville needs paint.

I took a quick glance at Yachtworld. The 1989 60 Motor Yacht in Stuart looks like the best of the bunch just based on the listing info and photos. The pictures of that 58 Yacht Fish in Key West looks pretty nasty...just in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    I took a quick glance at Yachtworld. The 1989 60 Motor Yacht in Stuart looks like the best of the bunch just based on the listing info and photos. The pictures of that 58 Yacht Fish in Key West looks pretty nasty...just in my opinion.
    I like the 60 in Stuart also but never trust pictures, I've looked at junk that looked good in the pictures. I do love the layout of the 60 though and want to go look at her myself.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

Hi Byresh. With them being so close to one another...the 1989 60 Hatteras in Stuart. The 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht in Jupiter. The 61 old Motor Yacht in Stuart and the 58 Wide Beam Motor Yacht in Jupiter, you'll get a chance to see and compare 4 different Hatteras models in the same day.
    I too would be anxious to see the euro platform 60 Motor Yacht. That model is a big step up from the fuddy-duddy Hatteras' of old. But Condition is Everything in this category of boat.

Happy Shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Hi Byresh. With them being so close to one another...the 1989 60 Hatteras in Stuart. The 61 Cockpit Motor Yacht in Jupiter. The 61 old Motor Yacht in Stuart and the 58 Wide Beam Motor Yacht in Jupiter, you'll get a chance to see and compare 4 different Hatteras models in the same day.
    I too would be anxious to see the euro platform 60 Motor Yacht. That model is a big step up from the fuddy-duddy Hatteras' of old. But Condition is Everything in this category of boat.

Happy Shopping!
    John, I prefer the fuddy duddy Hatteras's of old since I am an old fuddy duddy myself. lol
    Regards;
    Byron
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

I looked at the 60 hatteras in stuart last year. A dr. Owns the boat per the broker. It was well taken care of but he said the engines needed to be over hauled. The master stateroom wood had been painted, I prefer the wood.