Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Re: Seeking 50 to 58 MY. Moving up from smaller boat.

Is it inspected and qualified for 12 passengers?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Kismet, there is a nice, clean 61' MY on my dock that is for sale. I've been on it. Nice boat. http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985...s#.WNVgm5H3ahA

She is decently priced and I know all offers would be seriously considered. I'm also contemplating selling my 58MY after I knock out a punch list I have.
    I was about to posts the link to the 61. It's a very nice boat indeed

The last sentence in your post.... you realize april's fool day is a week away, right?? You re joking, right???
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The last sentence in your post.... you realize april's fool day is a week away, right?? You re joking, right???
    No, I'm no joking.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Ang....

Are you planning to become a landluber? After all you've done on your boat it's quite a surprise to read about your plan to part with it. What gives?

Walt

I started typing a reply and it all disappeared, so if this get posted twice, sorry. I am back after another long silence. I posted about a boat that I had a verbal acceptance of my offer and it was purchased while my broker was doing the paperwork. Decided that I would be silent till everything is final. I have a contract on a 61 that is set for a sea trial and survey this week. After everything is locked down I will start posting again. This has been a real education and, again, thanks for the ideas and warnings I have read on this site.

I believe that I did look at the Miami boat. I'll check with my wife who keeps the notes and has a better memory. If so I will respond further.

Hope to be on the dock polishing my own Hatt by May.

Well, I'm back after several false starts. I hope to be able to give everyone an overview of what I have learned through this process. Perhaps I can help someone avoid some of my silly errors. First of all, I have now been on 12 or 13 Hatteras' climbing from the generator room to the fly bridge from Lighthouse Point and Miami to Boston. I have made serious offers on 4 boats. One was sold between the time an agreement on terms went from verbal to writing by being out bid. Two we could not meet on terms and one went down after the survey. I'm looking at another boat on Saturday and sooner or later will buy a Old Hatt.
    My wife and I were convinced we wanted a 61 as we really liked the galley up, so after 3 or 4 we confined our search to 61. This was probably a mistake as we passed on looking at some nice boats. We have now broadened our search.
    Some boats and what I have learned:
    61 in Conn. (Temptation) Had a contract, cancelled after survey. Nice looking boat w/ nice electronics but a LOT of deferred maintenance. When we agreed upon price it was represented that the boat would be fully commissioned for use before the survey. Owner had an engine report outlining work that had to be done, that was to be done prior to survey. NOT done. 2 of the sea cocks were stuck open and the hose connected to one of them was leaking. One of the generators was original and the frame and housing were rotted through. The bow deck was soft with obvious rot beneath. Faucet in VIP head no water. Vacuum flush in master head broken. Starboard engine low oil pressure. Davit ? Ice maker and wine cooler stayed at room temp, water heater not hot, stove top burner out...etc. Tried to renegotiate after we got some prices for needed work. We walked.
    61 in Boston.(Rita G) This has been a boataminium for some time. The owner died and his widow is living on the boat year round. There were conflicting stories about when the boat was last off the dock or even when the engines were last operated. Stories changed about engine rebuilds and there were no records available about engine work or even maintenance records. We made an offer contingent upon getting maintenance records etc and then walked away. The broker called recently to see if we wanted to talk some more, but we did not.
    We have now moved back to our original 53 to 58 idea, but certainly would not rule out a nice 61 if one came along.
    Ask lots of questions. Don't believe all the answers. Get records. Climb around everything ...Then get a good survey... Then sit down with the surveyor and have it all explained.

Jim

I was hoping for a fresh stock of Hatts to hit the market this spring but not much happening. There is a 1987 53my that looks sweet but at $375k it's a bit outta my price.

I would say that the condition of the boat you buy, relative to the price, and the maintenance history, are all more important than which model Hatteras you finally own.

Kismet, did you look at the 61 in Miami

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...lip-very-clean

Pretty good one... very original so it need to be freshened up but good paint and brighwork, clean. Price is pretty good
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Of the models that you're seeking, all are 30+ years old at this point. Bear in mind that many of these boats were originally purchased as "work horse" vehicles for families to travel, cruise the coasts north and south or stay aboard (ie liveaboard) for extended periods. They've been used and abused and many not maintained in the recent years since the downturn in values. Many are beyond reasonable return to anything even close to "yacht" condition. Even the niceset of these old boats likely still needs lots of things. Keep looking. Your boat is out there somewhere.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"