Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Seeking 50 to 58 MY. Moving up from smaller boat.

My wife and I decided to look for a Hatteras after spending time on my brother in laws 53 MY.

We thought we wanted a 61 MY and looked at many you mentioned, we made offers on 4 boats, But either cost or survey they did not work out. My wife had one requirement, and that was a galley up. The 61 obviously had this. We found a 58 MY in Tennessee that was in nice shape.
    It had the galley up and 4 state rooms, with 4 heads. Same boat as Santuary. We love it, and had great times moving her from Tennesee, to her home in Annapolis.

The one thing I will say, these are older boats, and even if they have had work done by the previous owners, they will need attention. I know we bought a great boat that has had alot of upgrades over the years, but there are alot of systems to get to know. leaving the main engines for a moment, you have 5-7 zones of AC, 1 -2 generators, battery chargers, inverters, freshwater systems, Stabalizers, water makers, 240 VAC systems, 32 VDc systems 12 VDC , the list goes on.... Unless you had deep pockets, you need to learn to do as much as possible yourself.

I love it.. and have really learned alot over the past year. This forum has been a tremendous
    source of information, so I thank you all for that.

Good luck, it will be a fun experience. I cannot say enough about the quality and ruggedness of the Hatteras boat... Welcome aboard!!

Ken

You had mentioned, wife wants gallery up and a cockpit will be helpful. I personally think line handling and water access without a cockpit is more challenging.

Two boats I don't think was mentioned 58 cockpit MY, the galley up version has 4 SRs, more fuel than a 53 and the 58 LRC, a favorite of mine, 3 or 4 SRs, galley up, small but functional cockpit, 2,300 gals fuel and space for a robust RIB.

I also would encourage you to try to get a stabilized boat, stabilizers do require maintenance, and I would suggest it's worth it.

Good luck!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

If you are still looking, our 58 yacht fish is for sale. My email address is trip@usa.net

^^^Looks nice for $149k.

There is a fellow in the Classic Yacht Club with a 53MY with these engines. Runs out nicely, much quicker than with 8-71s. Ironically, boat's name is Freebird.

Quote Originally Posted by my50hatteras View Post
    I'm in the process of listing my 50MY. It's Hull No.1, 1964.
    By any chance did you buy that hull #1 50' Hatt from a seller at Lincoln Harbor Yacht Club in Weehawken, NJ about 5 years ago (+/-)? Just asking cause the PO of that boat claimed to have hull #1.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Hi Kismet, this may be getting to you late but welcome to the forum. I'm not sure if we communicated or not but we are selling our 58' Hatt yachtfish. She can been seen on my wife's website, Sandra camper artist. The vessel is dialed in and most say she is the nicest on the market. Let me know if you have an in interest. we are in the Fort Lauderdale area.

Well we finally did it. We took title to and possession of a 1989 54 EDMY. We named it Olde Hatt. Our previous boat and my wife’s business had been named Kismet, but after looking at 18 old Hatteras, reading about the design and building of these boats and climbing in, around an on top of so many we decided it would be Olde Hatt. We had convinced ourselves that we wanted a 61 galley up and looked from Boston to the Keys at 61’s. Then we had a contract on a 61 in Connecticut that we walked away from after the survey. That started our search over again and we saw a photo of a 54 extended deck that had a galley up and went to see it. Ironically, it was in the same area in Kent Narrows that we had been in 4 or 5 months earlier looking at a 61. The deal came together and now we are officially Hatteras owners.
    We took possession about 10 days ago in Kent Narrows, Maryland and brought it up to Albany NY which will be out base for the summer. We are planning trips to Conn and possibly Cape Cod. The trip up was an excellent opportunity to get to know the boat and our abilities, We did the trip in 3 days traveling approximately 14 hours a day at 8 to 11 knots depending upon current and wind. We have found that 1250 to 1300 rpm seems to be the sweet spot for running. We were fortunate to have 3 days of good weather.
    Throughout our process we worked with a broker, Scott MacDonald from Blue Water Yachts on Kent Island Maryland. Knowledgeable, not pushy, patient and really led us through the process. Scott rode with us for 2 days from Kent Narrows to NYC to help with learning the boat and was an excellent teacher and fun traveling companion.
    Our plan is to become active participants on this blog with lots of questions about, and hopefully some answers to, issues about owning, living on and following the sun in an old Hatt.
    Jim

A brief follow up. We started looking seriously in January and started this post in early February.
    First I have to thank everyone for some really good advice received here and by PM via this site. Believe me, we took all the advice into consideration as we moved forward. Second, I will repeat the mantra we learned from that advice. The soft goods, finishes and fluff are the very last thing you should be considering. You can put in a lot of flooring and furnishings for the cost of a hull repair and even more goodies with the cost of a generator. Think of the upgrades you can do for the cost of an engine overhaul. We listened to the advice, hired an excellent Surveyor, waited for the lab results from the oils that were tested and then spent sever hours on the boat with the mechanic who has taken care of the boat for the past two owners. We have purchased some new electronics that we are having installed and will probably make some other up grades as time goes on. We have decided to get to know the boat and our real needs before we make any more changes.

Thanks to y'all for your input over these past 6 months.

Jim & Maura