Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: New Air Force One.

AF1 is just one of the endless examples of government spending that has caused 20 trillion of debt. Never has made sense that we have this notion we can forever borrow our way to a good economy. We should refurbish the two AF1's we have and save billions while supporting some jobs. Hey, those old B52's are still flying!

Boeing needs to say no-thanks, don't need the hassle for 2 damn planes.

I worked there when last pair were built (MRB Engineer). Touched every single 747 for about 7 years. Boeing lost many, many millions on the planes because at that time, MAC/D was still competition-they could offer there MD-11. Well, the prestiege that comes with your name on AF1 means you are willing to take a loss.

Now lets talk modern times. Our lovely government actually wanted airbus to offer a A380 proposal. The thinking was maybe a 747 just wasn't big enuf anymore. Airbus said thanks but no thanks (they are not dumb).

Boeing is 35 billion in the hole on 787. It is not possible that this program will ever be successful. They do not need another nightmare- just no money in it.

Gary

Just a few points of clarification. Retired 13.5 years now from boeing. I am/was no company man-I checked out at age 56- never looked back.

But Tinman and some others. At some time you "buy newer" because a whole bunch of companies will no longer provide parts for your oldie. 747 classic engines are history. You can recert to new engines, but what if this costs more than new?

Wouldn't bother me if the prez flew in an ultra-light. But many Americans just don't like the idea of obscure rock-bands flying in a 747 while POTUS hitch-hikes.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    AF1 is just one of the endless examples of government spending that has caused 20 trillion of debt. Never has made sense that we have this notion we can forever borrow our way to a good economy. We should refurbish the two AF1's we have and save billions while supporting some jobs. Hey, those old B52's are still flying!
    You may be right but then what do you do with all those unemployed and under employed people. I have no problem with debt. I borrowed for my car and my home; things that I considered to be necessities. I paid cash for my boat (not a necessity) But I understand that when it comes to national debt and how to pay it back (raise taxes) im the odd man out here. I really do believe that there is plenty of money out there. We just have to redirect our spending. Maybe instead if buying a nwe plane or two we should rebuild a few bridgesBottom line, as a society we have to decide how to deal with folks that can't find a job or can't work or just don't want to work. Only three choices as I see it. We could give them money, (welfare) or make work, or just f.. 'em; let them starve. I'm not arguing for one approach or another except that as long as you and I can afford yachts it's just wrong that kids are going to bed hungry in this country. Our priorities are messed upIf we are to take seriously the notion that every citizen is entitled (I know a dirty word here) to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" than we have to accept the notion that there are certain things that we need to provide all our citizens as their "right", I would argue,food shelter and clothing as well as health care and if we need to tax and borrow (or borrow and tax) to provide these "rights" then that's what we have to do. The money is there, we just have to rethink our priorities

Good idea. I'd suggest you start by selling the yacht you can afford so easily and reprioritize the money to charity to help the people you feel are entitled to it.

When you start confiscating one person's assets and making them responsible for the situations and choices of others that whole life, liberty and pursuit of happiness thing goes right out the window.

The only thing you were right about is the need to reprioritize. We need to prioritize the govt out of the business of spending money it doesn't have to fulfill promises it can't keep. That is the monster that is consuming all the prosperity that America has to offer.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Good idea. I'd suggest you start by selling the yacht you can afford so easily and reprioritize the money to charity to help the people you feel are entitled to it.

When you start confiscating one person's assets and making them responsible for the situations and choices of others that whole life, liberty and pursuit of happiness thing goes right out the window.

The only thing you were right about is the need to reprioritize. We need to prioritize the govt out of the business of spending money it doesn't have to fulfill promises it can't keep. That is the monster that is consuming all the prosperity that America has to offer.
    Perfect reply. I was just going to say ronparise is entitled to only give whatever is his to whoever he chooses, but not entitled to give away what belongs to others. We just endured 8 years of the most irresponsible government in our history. It never ceases to amaze me how casual liberals are about other peoples money and government debt. Hopefully, we will make a right turn and "Make America Great Again."

My owning a "yacht" (aka old, tired, Hatteras), does not affect if kids eat or not. We already have several government programs to feed any of our citizen (and non-citizens). No kid will go hungry as long as the assistance needed is applied for. I see those that do NOT need these benefits using them every day. I see those with EBT benefit cards driving new Escalades. Many of those same people also have "cash assistance" on this same debit card. This is in addition to the food stamp benefit. They are free to spend the cash on anything including beer and cigarettes. Wake up and see what's going on here. There are NO starving children in this country. It is the picture that always gets painted when liberals want to tax you more. Who can say no to a puppy dog or a child?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There are some kids that are hungry. Because mom is hung over and won't make them breakfast.

I agree the programs are there and being abused by many. Our society allows you to lie about need to make it on the roles so they can ask for more money.

When my son changed schools they wanted to clarify him as English as a second language for more aid money. The wanted to see if we qualified for food assistance and any other government money. They probably spent more on getting people not in need to apply than they get in aid.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

my underlying premise is that technology is making lot of jobs un necessary, so telling someone to "get up off your lazy ass and get a job" won't work. But like your's my attitude is "I don't care" I'm 70 years old and I have enough to survive another 20 or so so really, "f...'em"All I'm trying to do here is offer a possible explanation for why we, through our government, might buy things we don't need. Incompetence by those government buyers, and/ or corporate greed explain why we might pay too much but not why are we doing this in the first place.So will it work? Will government make work projects get us to full employment? I doubt it. But it will be interesting to see if our new president can make good on his promise to rebuild our infrastructure whether we need it or not

damn, the Falcons are looking good. My seahawks gone, so I am pulling for Atl to win SB. They don't have one yet.

Gary