Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Options for waterproofing Sumbrella Fabric

Sumbrella recommends using 303 Fabric Guard to return sumbrella fabric to a water repellant state. This stuff works but is very expensive. What is it made out of "gold"? It sells for $1 an ounce in Canada. Are there any water repellent treatments for Sumbrella fabric (Bimini Top) that are as effective but less expensive?

Any chemists out there have some suggestions?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Re: Options for waterproofing Sumbrella Fabric

Get a few boaters to split a gallon. It's only 50 cents an ounce then. It does work.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post
    Sumbrella recommends using 303 Fabric Guard to return sumbrella fabric to a water repellant state. This stuff works but is very expensive. What is it made out of "gold"? It sells for $1 an ounce in Canada. Are there any water repellent treatments for Sumbrella fabric (Bimini Top) that are as effective but less expensive?

Any chemists out there have some suggestions?

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Kwityurbichin.

If you spend $100 to extend the life of the fabric a year or 2 you save how much?.

New fabric is far more expensive.

Theres no reason to cry over $100. Some peoplease burn that much fuel (or more) in an hour.

It's not the cost of the chemicals anymore. It's the distribution, insurance, advertising and packaging that make a 16 Oz bottle $16.

And don't forget the free health care up there too.

My son would say " such a first world problem"
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Did I just read a thread on a hatteras forum complaining about spending $16?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Hmmmm,

Nothing wrong with looking at less expensive but equally effective alternatives whether it be for barnacle busting, fuel deals, flooring, parts, marinas, repair yards, paint, etc. It all adds up over time. Boating is not a cheep endeavor and we all look for advice on where to go for good work / product at a reasonable price. I think a buck an ounce is pretty rich for a water repellent chemical (most liquor, oil, and other chemicals cost a lot less). I coated my fly bridge top and curtains with 303 fabric guard two years ago and used a 148 oz jug ($140 plus shipping and taxes). My top started leaking this fall so I need to treat it again. I was just asking if there were any other equally effective and less expensive options.

Thank you for your help,

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Does it really require that much liquid to coat it? I thought one just sprays a fine mist on the fabric.

Maybe scotch-guard will work?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I applied the product according to the instructions. I have a fairly large area to cover including the edges of all side curtains. Over-spray is a problem as is loss into the air (applied in a well-ventilated area). I spray Fabric Guard on fabric until damp, overlapping in a crisscross pattern and that used up an entire 128 oz bottle. The fabric is in good shape as it only gets exposed about five months a year. Unfortunately it started leaking around many of the seams. It must be due to the tropical monsoons we get in northern Canada. The rest of the time the boat is covered with affordable and effective haystack tarps. Only the best for my baby!

I will read up on Scotch Guard and see if it holds up well in outdoor applications.

I was really wondering if 303 Fabric Guard was something that could be made up by combining chemicals that are readily available to the consumer as is done with some other products.

Thanks,

Mark
    Lake of the Woods

Years ago (in the 80's and early 90's) Sunbrella recommended Scotch Guard. Then, I think based on the very helpful tree-hugger driven changes in environmental regulations, Scotch Guard changed their formula and Sunbrella quit recommending it.

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post

snip>>Unfortunately it started leaking around many of the seams. It must be due to the tropical monsoons we get in northern Canada. The rest of the time the boat is covered with affordable and effective haystack tarps. Only the best for my baby!

Thanks,

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    Ok, so maybe is a thread problem. Years back there was a product that could be applied to the underside of the seams to seal these and it worked well.

Bobk

I think it is Starbright that makes a spray on waterproofing for Sunbrella, we have used it for years with good results. I know that some people swear that Thompsons water seal also works. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.