Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: 2017 North East Rendezvous

Sadly, I will be in some type of automobile. It will allow me to ensure proper safe-space to minimize triggering. Hopefully one year I can be in the area with the boat, but I have to get her up to snuff for the judges first.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks everybody who responded. I think we're getting some good information out of this.

A couple of points come to mind as well. One thing I notice in the responses and in general is that a number of people who attend these things don't post here as much as they used to. I wonder if that impacts the community feel that has brought people in in the past?

The other thing that needs to be mentioned, and I know from organizing group events myself, is that it is a lot of work to organize even a simple rendezvous and it's uncompensated, except for thank-yous and complaints. While we do have people willing to step up and organize, most of the people who organized the earlier ones aren't doing it anymore. While I certainly don't blame them in any way it brings up another point that Glory mentioned in another conversation. The earlier rendezvous I attended the Saturday dinners were more like a barbecue which resulted in a ton of work for a few people. We ended up moving the dinner to restaurants to simplify the process, but we may have lost some of the howdy mingling and casual nature of the event.

So my take thus far is that we can look to the two most popular venues of the past, Greenport and Block Island for the future. Maybe alternating those is an option. And another possibility is catering a buffet instead of a restaurant to bring back the casual picnic atmosphere of previous events without saddling a few people with a lot of work.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

And krush, if you're going to make the trip I'd be in for a get-together even if it's not an official rendezvous.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

We attempted the trip last year and unfortunately were interrupted by an undersea creature.
    This year I have out of towners visiting. Bad luck on my part, but wanted to attend.

I have attended a couple of events a few years ago and while I thought they were a good time and well organized, the distance from central NJ is a bit much. The idea of holding an event in the NYC/Jersey City/Hudson River area seems like a good one. There are many HOFer's out here as well and I'm sure the response would be positive. Years ago when the factory/company (Hatteras) sponsored it the turnout was very large, but it was a different time and our boats were much newer. Today the company realizes that few of our members are ready to buy a new Hatteras. That would very probably change if they resumed making boats in our more popular sizes.

What's the magic number for distance that your willing to travel

1) by boat?

2) by car?

I know the long island crew is handicapped by the long island separating the north and south shore waterways. That means south shore boaters would have to go all the way around the island to get to the north shore and visa versa making a weekend trip harder.

For my area on a weekend get together I'd be in for a 2 to 3 hour run (20 to 30 miles) on the river to get to a location. That allows me and the family the time to get rolling , enjoy the ride, get together and dinner with friends the first day.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    What's the magic number for distance that your willing to travel

1) by boat?

2) by car?

I know the long island crew is handicapped by the long island separating the north and south shore waterways. That means south shore boaters would have to go all the way around the island to get to the north shore and visa versa making a weekend trip harder.

For my area on a weekend get together I'd be in for a 2 to 3 hour run (20 to 30 miles) on the river to get to a location. That allows me and the family the time to get rolling , enjoy the ride, get together and dinner with friends the first day.

Remember I was talking about a regular weekend.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have been busy with personal and business matters this season and laying low.

I would be happy to organize a Greenport Rendezvous. This season?... time is running out but...... we can still try for August.
    Bring your own dish may be the best for the mingling! Let me know if you have open weekends and want to come east to Greenport and I will see if I can get slips.

Nick

I'm new to all this as we have only owned this boat for less than a month, but am very interested in going to a meet up. Is the planned August 11 to 13 get together still on? We live in Albany and would love a trip down the Hudson. Please let me know.

Jim

I'm not going to organize this year as what little new interest is coming too late. Maybe I'm a little gun shy after being the only boat to show up at last years, with no last minute notice nobody else was coming (except Avenger who did drive, we had great time). Anyway, the marina never finished the new docks I thought we could all stay at, they did not get a tenant for the onsite restaurant/bar, and there are no BBQ's allowed on party docks (was told last year they would be). I'm going to be traveling by boat to Block July 28th to Aug 4th and then Montauk Aug 4th to 6th if anybody around would love to get together. If somebody wants to organize something for weekend of August 12th I'll probably show up. All the Best - Scott

Thanks for the reply. We are going south for the winter come late September. October in the Chesapeake and then down to the Keys with stops at New Smyrna Beach, Hollywood and possibly Miami. Are there any meet ups in South Florida over the winter??

We renamed the boat Olde Hatt so my name here change as soon as I find out how to do that.

Maura & Jim