Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: 2017 North East Rendezvous

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Well, yeah, I can see that. We could move it to Georgia for convenience, but then we couldn't call it the Northeast Rendezvous.

One of the points we were looking at is location. We keep moving it around hoping to make it more accessible. But it doesn't seem to be working. Should we stick to a single venue every year?

I would stick to the same venue every year to keep things more simple. After all, it's supposed to be about meeting up with fellow HOF'ers, not the destination itself. In fact, I'd pick the most boring, inexpensive destination you could possibly come up with to ensure there is absolutely nothing else to do but eat, drink, and be merry.

Seriously, it's locals who attend these things (by boat) for the most part, so they've all been there, done that, where the various locations were concerned. It's not like a bunch of folks are cruising together to get there. I very much enjoyed the two I was able to attend, and the destination had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was youse gize who made it fun. I hated reading that this year's event has gone south (no pun intended), but maybe next year will be better.

It all begins here with the camaraderie that seems to have been lost over the past few years, for whatever reason. People hardly ever even take the time to wish members Happy Birthday anymore, and more often than not, it seems a lot of threads end up being confrontational, with some getting downright personal. Who wants to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to attend an event if they think that's the way we interact in person?

Other than that, maybe spice it up a little bit with awards for distance most traveled, OCD awards, award for ugliest dinghy, award for the most empty beer cans on a boat, etc. Seriously, we have an annual, National Allison Rally here on Watts Bar Lake, and it is very well attended by folks from all over, and it's always a great time with great folks. That's a bit of an apple and orange comparison where the boats are concerned (though it is a pride of ownership thing), but it's a great example where boaters are concerned.

Keep it light, and they will come.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

One of the things that impressed me about some of the earlier NE Rendezvous was people coming as far as they did. Naturally people aren't going to make the trip from Florida every year but it was great to meet Hatteras owners who made the trip.

There's also the matter of attrition. Offhand I can think of at least five former participants who don't have their Hatteras anymore. Naturally, like the forum they're still welcome to participate, but they've "left to pursue other interests." Life is like that. I understand. Maybe some of our newer forum members in the area could give us some input on why the events don't spark your interest?

We've always had a kind of "What happens at the rendezvous stays at the rendezvous" policy. Maybe we should do more follow up promotion? Although pictures don't convey the comraderi we could post about some of the activities and the scenery. Thoughts?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I see Randy and I were typing at the same time.

These are the kind of things we need to be honest about and I appreciate what he has to say.

In a personal conversation Glory brought up the point about the moving venue being a potential problem. The idea of changing locations was to keep it fresh and make it more accessible to some people. i.e. Port Washington was supposed to make it more accessible to Hudson River and New Jersey members. OTOH the professional partiers known as E dock have been a significant contributor in the past and maybe it needs to stay within easy reach for them. Maybe some of the regulars have something to say?

The point about the tone of the forum itself is a good one. When I went to my first rendezvous my wife asked me what it was and she thought I was nuts making contact with "people I met on the internet" but I already knew who they were based on contact here on the forum. I've met some of the best friends I have at these things but I can see where the public impression isn't as good. Unfortunately I can't do much about that except try to remember and remind that we're supposed to be here to help each other.

Activities and planning of the events themselves is something I'm going to have to cover in a separate post. It will require more typing than I'm going to do on this phone.

1970 36C375

How many active members do you have in the area?

We used to have many more( 15 or so) in my local area but the number has dropped so low I don't know of 5 local hatt owners that use their boats regularly anymore.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You mentioned that earlier too and I was wondering if the economy has had a damping effect. While fuel isn't $5/gallon anymore it's still $$$ to run a boat to these things. I think the Block Island and Greenport trips cost me between $800-$1200 between fuel and dockage and that's just for a 36. Granted everybody's idea of expensive is different. But from '08 onward when things were pretty bad we still got people to make the trip. Also, I've driven to more than I've boated to. Sometimes just for practical and occasionally mechanical reasons. As Randy said, it's about the people. Although I admit it's more fun to bring a boat.

1970 36C375

Derek, it seems to me the most logical thing to do is evaluate which location yielded the largest turnout, and designate that for the next gathering. I too have been questioned for having met so many people on this and other forums where that was the only connection, but there have been very few disappointments, and many friendships made that will indeed last a lifetime.

I always found it entertaining to meet someone in person after getting to "know" them online. Just when you think you have somebody pegged, your whole perception of them goes right out the window when you meet in person. Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes it's not! LOL

Bottom line is, this is a great group of folks, and it's been well worth the effort. I've honestly lost count of how many HOF'ers I've met in person, and not just from attending planned gatherings. It's too bad we're all so spread out.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

The Hattteras Classic Club is getting ready to send out their reservation form for their annual rendezvous that is in Baltimore again this year, September 6, 7th, 8th & 9th. Last year we had 50 registered attendees. We had 10 boats attend and most stayed in the hotel. We also had educational sessions Thursday & Friday. We also had a tour of the Baltimore Mueseum of Industry. Baltimore seems to get our best attendance. We have been all over the Bay from Portsmouth down near Norfolk to Baltimore. We had one spring cruise to Cape May & usually do a Florida Rendezvous in March in Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach or one time in Marathon in the Keys. We make a sincere effort to reach our for new members but we have had members die or sell their Hatteras's. We have several members who have sold their Hatteras's and still attend because of the friendships they have made. I think a real effort has to be made by a lot of the members to keep it going. Different members volunteer to be "Cruise Captain" for the next rendezvous. I don't hink their is one answer that makes it work but we put a lot of effort to make it happen.
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

8. Re: 2017 North East Rendezvous

I've been attending the Summer Rendezvous every season since the beginning and this will be
    first one I miss. The wife and I are in the process of building a new home, and the free time
    available for boating has been slashed to a minimum.

If the venue were a little closer to our home port we might have been able to make it, but
    with all the construction going on it's tough to commit to anything this season.

Lack of free time is the biggest reason for us. The distance is a small factor, but only
    because of our personal schedules this summer.

Hopefully we'll be able to get out a little bit before the season ends.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

GOOD NEWS. I CAN MAKE IT! I have a wedding Aug 12 to attend near Terrytown NY (no, not mine!). So maybe I can swing by Sunday.

With that said, the reason these events are extinct is A) you all are old (which isn't a big deal) and B) Younger people don't own hatts, and people in gerneral are lazy and are all too "busy" watching netflix and fapping on facebook/myspace/instagram. Nobody leaves the house, they just watch TV and complain how they have no time to do anything.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    GOOD NEWS. I CAN MAKE IT! I have a wedding Aug 12 to attend near Terrytown NY (no, not mine!). So maybe I can swing by Sunday.

With that said, the reason these events are extinct is A) you all are old (which isn't a big deal) and B) Younger people don't own hatts, and people in gerneral are lazy and are all too "busy" watching netflix and fapping on facebook/myspace/instagram. Nobody leaves the house, they just watch TV and complain how they have no time to do anything.
    Well, I glad you have time to meet the old, lazy and busy Hatteras owners, that fail to be young!

Are you arriving by boat or riding the Netflix machine?

Sincerely,
    Not holding a grudge
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY