Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New AC system

Re: New AC system

The later 53's had more cooling then the earlier ones. That's one reason they went to dual 50a cords to run everything.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yeah - when we were in our 53 buying search (2003-04), we looked at models from '71 through '85. The earlier ones - I don't recall the year in which the change occurred - had fewer evaporators, 4 instead of 6 if I remember right. There may have been fewer compressors as well, or, perhaps smaller ones but I don't remember any of that either!

But I can certainly confirm that a single 50 shore power connection cannot power all 4 compressors on our 1980 operating at the same time. For normal use we have no need to run all 4 at the same time so it doesn't matter. However, we do occasionally use three, the Salon, Galley, and the guest SR, and if the water heater kicks on while the three compressors are running, it will pop the shore breaker.

Does the chiller system use less power?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

The 36k chillers use 16 amp each so two would be about 32 plus 1.2 amp per AH... that's about 40amps total if everything is running. On paper it s less than the splits... each of mine draw about 15 amp each when running

The nice thing is that you can easily turn off the second chiller while running a lot of things and still cool the entire boat, especially if it's already cold.

My 1970 had 4 condensers and 5 evaporators. mid ship and bow shared a condensor and while the midship called ok, the bow was always unbearably hot until I added a 5th system in th galley but then I couldn't run all of them at t h same time....

What is th set up on the later boats.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My 1985 has one 30K for salon, one 10k for master, one 6k for mid, and one 16k split between galley and bow. All of those will run on one 50a cord. At the home dock, I run two of the ships services off of one 50a and the third (which has the a/c on it) off of the second 50a cord. With 100amps of total input, we never have to worry about what we run. When traveling, I rarely get out the second cord because its a hassle so we just monitor the loads.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That's pretty much what i had after adding the galley unit.

2 x 16 for saloon, 12 for the master, 12 split between bow and mid plus another 12 in the galley
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Two stage chiller will help reduce consumption as cabin cools too. Also, with a TXV, as cooling load goes down, compressor amp draw will go down as well (on chiller and direct expansions units). A variable capacity chiller would be very sweet, but that's getting more complex.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Kiss.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Kiss.
    Nothing KISS about a 50+ yacht
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Nothing KISS about a 50+ yacht
    LOL...gotta agree with that!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

What ever you pull off please offer the working parts to the Hatteras owners on this site. I do not need anything but I've seen where some are looking for parts. Thanks
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California