Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New AC system

Re: New AC system

How do you put window rattlers in the staterooms
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My new (to me) 65 has 5 A/C units and the big one (30K BTU) for the salon is DOA. The condenser sounds like 2 skeletons screwing on a tin roof, so I bought a new one.
    The problem is the previous owner had the system checked and there is also a Freon leak between the condenser and the evaporator. It is in an inaccessible area between decks. If I can, I will pull out the old copper and put in new; otherwise I need to find a new route for the new piping.
    The old copper is pretty rigid; can flexible copper tubing be used?
    Anyone had a similar problem? An A/C repairman wanted $11,000 to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    What piping is used to run the chilled water? Could the old copper refrigerant lines be used or are they too small?
    I spoke with the Aqua Air folks at FLIBS...their 19k, and 24k, chillers could use the old copper line sets..beyond 24k would require bigger lines.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I spoke with the Aqua Air folks at FLIBS...their 19k, and 24k, chillers could use the old copper line sets..beyond 24k would require bigger lines.
    Now that would really simplify the install, even if you had to add more insulation to the lines.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I guess I'm not seeing the advantage to replacing the OEM system unless the chiller system is considerably less expensive than replacing OEM. I'm basing that on the performance of our 4 OEM units in our 1980 53 MY which do a great job of cooling or heating the boat.

IOW, although I fully accept that a modern system is better in many ways, I don't see what it offers in an "operational" way over the old system. OF course, if the PRICE of installing the chiller system is a lot less than replacing whatever is needed to "restore" the original system, then, obviously the chiller system would be the way to go. I would be interested to know is if the new system takes up more space in the ER than the old system. I assume it would take less but I know nothing at all about a chiller system. The other thing is that it would HAVE to be able to cool AND heat the boat. I guess if you are in FL, needing heat is a non issue; but it would be mandatory for us. Based on what K stated, it sounds as if it can do both...

"Now that would really simplify the install, even if you had to add more insulation to the lines."

The copper lines in our boat are all quite heavily insulated. Based on the appearance, it appears to be original insulation, not added later.
    Last edited by MikeP; 01-07-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I have only had to replace one compressor unit out of 4of the OEM Cruisair units.The compressor on the new Cruisair unit failed after 2 years ! I don't think Cruisair are what they used to be.

Were the copper lines replaced or properly cleaned when it was replaced?

Debris will kill a new unit as will improperly run lines.

The low pressure lines can have dips that trap oil. Restrict return gas and not cool the compressor.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The lines were not properly cleaned the first time.Next time and1400 dollars later they blew the copper lines through with compressed air.

That's not how you clean the lines. It's usually necessary to flush them with a cleaning solution made for the job. Then blow them out with dry nitrogen before attaching them to the new units and pulling a vacuum.

If the old system put debris in the lines it's a bitch to clear it all. Replace them if possible.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Mike

I was quoted around $3000 to $3600 for new condensing units and about $1500/2000 per air handler so total is about the same than chillers.

The main benefit of a chiller system is that if loose a compressor, you can still cool the whole boat and make it at least comfortable as the chillers are set up in parallel and both feed the whole boat. And during the day you can turn off a couple of staterooms to get the saloon cooler and switch over at night That's flexibility you don't get with splits.

Overall the system is less prone to gas leaks as you don't have all the gas lines, connections, and gas thru the evaporaters

The plus side of splits is that you can patch them up and replace individual units piece by piece so it's easier in the checking account

I m not sure I agree about the OEM system doubt a good job cooling the boat, at least not here in Florida. In the summer time with the high water temps we get, it is marginal. The stock 53 needs an extra unit for the galley. I did that about 8 years ago I'm and it made a huge difference as I was then able to direct the full output of the fwd saloon to the saloon instead of diverting some to the galley

I think if your splits are all in ok conditions it's not worth redoing the whole thing but if 2 or more are on the brink it makes sense. And again on the 53 running the new water lines is not that bad
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat