Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New AC system

Re: New AC system

2" of closed cell foam in the ceiling (~R12). ~55ft^2 tinted glass. The window treatments will be well-fitted double row cellular blinds, which do a great job insulating. I'm also fond of awnings.

4000 for the V-berth seems low. My boat was originally equipped with a 6000BTU unit for the V-berth, and it seems adequate. I don't know that you can even buy a 4000 unit.

I think your boat is much better insulated than mine, or probably any Hatteras, because the level of insulation you are putting in is far in excess of what I've ever seen on any yacht. Maybe 4000 will work. But who makes a unit that small?

I agree and suspect that a 5k or even 6k will be what I use. Directing some air out into the galley area will be the way to go if it short-cycles.

My V and galley share 8000 btu's

The stateroom and salon another 16000. I have all the front windows covered with a white canvas and that helps a great deal. The side windows are tinted.

If (when) I pull the headliners I will add insulation.

My boat originally came with a 16 and a 12 which was probably fine for the time when all windows were uncovered and the glass was not tinted
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Throw a dart, and you'll be as accurate as those calculators. I soon hope to have my 18.5k and 12k installed on my 41c and I'll report back.

Are you using 240VAC units or 120?

Ocean Breeze can custom make them for you. I had them do piping connection and air inlet/outlet how I wanted. No other unit had that arrangement or place would custom make it.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Talking Re: New AC system

Might be time to adapt Mini Splits to boating 12,000btu @ 3amps 220V.
    That would save some amps.
    Bob

When I have to replace my AC units, I am going to get OB units as well. Their web site indicates that they can make about anything you would want or need.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Are you using 240VAC units or 120?
    I can use either.

I haven't gotten the quote back yet, but it sure looks like chillers are a lot more expensive than self-contained. I'm having trouble understanding what the benefit would be of chillers over self-contained. Thoughts?

Two benefits. No compressors in living spaces and redundancy

I don't care how quiet compressors are supposed to have become, you can't still hear them... I used a 16k marvair self contained for a couple of years and you could hear it loud and clear. I e bee on boats with self contained of various brand, they ar not quiet. It's an acceptable compromise on a small boat but not on a 50' + with enough space in the ER

Having two chillers gives you redundancy as you can run the boat on one if needed. It wont be meat locker cold but it will be livable and if needed you can turn off unused spaces to get others cooler. It's nice feature not just when one unit fails but also when docked at a place where shorepower is weak. Just turn off one of the chillers when you need to run watermaker, cook etc... instead of firing up a genset.

I don't think comparing chillers to self contained is a valid comparison. But if you compare chillers to splits the cost difference is minimal
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Pascal.

I still haven't gotten a quote from Flagship, but claims about compressor sound seem to have changed quite a bit with horizontal, scroll, and rotary compressors over earlier piston ones. Any idea if your Marvair units were piston, rotary, scroll, or horizontal?