Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1967 50' MY is it worth $110k???

Happy Holidays guys n gals. There is a '67 50'my for sale asking $110. One working 8v71n and the 2nd one is total loss having broken an oil line that went unnoticed. Also the PO took the boat 2000 miles.from the great lakes to Florida on the one engine and did not lock down the shaft to the non-running one so I.am questioning the health of the Alison M20 as well. Any thoughts on a real-world offer for a vessel as described? Thanks..Steve

Re: 1967 50' MY is it worth $110k???

There are much newer and larger MY's that are on the market at that price. Motors are very expensive to rebuild unless you do it yourself. However I love the older vintage yachts so all I can say is it worth it to you. If so get a great survey and start the wheel and deal. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Run........
    Unless the rest of the vessel is in Bristol condition I wouldn't pay more than 40-50K. That is just my personal opinion, I'm sure others may disagree but sounds like you would be facing some serious expenses in making everything right. Good luck !
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”

That is a completely unrealistic price for such a vessel. It MIGHT be worth that with a freshly done set of engines which had just been surveyed and in addition had a couple of hundred hours on them, so you knew the rebuilds were done right. As you describe it, it is a giveaway boat or very nearly so. I wouldn't even pay to fly to see it. I don't think you could come out on top if you were given that boat free.

Find yourself a decent 53MY- you should be able to find one at a reasonable price which has some maintenance records and is in usable good shape. You can then redecorate it as you see fit, when you wish to. A very nice 53 with naturals sold for right around that money up here in Maryland- thoroughly sorted out boat which was used regularly by the owner, who was a member here, and very clean and neat. The old adage about buying the best one you can afford applies in spades here. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap boat.

If it was spotless inside and had really nice exterior paint, maybe 20-30k. And that's being generous.

I never understood them though...no cockpit.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks to all as you have confirmed my initial assessment. Just for me to know that I have considered all options, if I were to get the boat for say $50k, how is the bad block removed from the split engine room configuration? I see there is a " hatch" of sorts over each 8v71 and that opens the ER to the Salon above but then what is done to get that heavy motor out of the boat (and a new one in)??

It's a lot of work. Figure 3x what you expect. $30 k for motor and Trans easily.

Tearing up the interior. Bringing it out the aft doors. Reversing it to reinstall. It's not a 2 week project.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Take both motors out in pieces and put baby motors back in.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by risctaker View Post
    Thanks to all as you have confirmed my initial assessment. Just for me to know that I have considered all options, if I were to get the boat for say $50k, how is the bad block removed from the split engine room configuration? I see there is a " hatch" of sorts over each 8v71 and that opens the ER to the Salon above but then what is done to get that heavy motor out of the boat (and a new one in)??
    Is this your first large boat? If so I'd recommend finding something you can enjoy and do small projects on. I find something like this can turn people against boating in a short period of time.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California