Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Racor vacume

Racor vacume

Are my Racor vacuum gauges supposed to return to 0 when the engines are off?

Re: Racor vacume

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    Are my Racor vacuum gauges supposed to return to 0 when the engines are off?
    The gage should return to near zero, the drag needle if you have one, will show the highest vacuum that existed. You have to reset it by hand.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    The gage should return to near zero, the drag needle if you have one, will show the highest vacuum that existed. You have to reset it by hand.

Bobk
    Just had some experience with this checking for air leaks. On my boat, I shutoff fuel at idle and then shut off engine when I reached about 10" of Hg. The vacuum held steady for 5 mins. until I opened the fuel supply. So, the values should return to zero unless there is a serious obstruction in the fuel system.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If they are liquid filled you may need to pull the pin or plug on top of the case to vent the housing. You can get false readings if the inside of the housing is not at atmospheric pressure.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

In most cases, the vacuum will hold at couple of inches, when it doesn't the check ball or it's seat, both come with overhaul kit RM1114-04, may/ likely have a problem.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

My Racors are mounted several feet above the top of the fuel tanks so there is a built-in vacuum of 4-5 inches due to this constant lift. I hear this suction break when I crack the lids to change filters but I have not thought to check the gauge to see if it resets to zero.

Always crack the lid before trying to drain the bowl or else the gulp of air through the bottom drain stirs up the dirt and you will waste a lot more fuel cleaning this out. Don't forget to keep a bottle of clean fuel on hand to replace what was drained out.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932