Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Simrad AP25 Autopilot

I'm going to look at a boat that has one of these. I don't wanna have to bring a boat back to the way I want one again....so I'm spending more this time to keep from doing that. But it's got this A/P ... and I'm reading they're no longer supported.

I'm out alone...alot...and need a good A/P...

How difficult is it gonna be to keep this A/P goin'? If it needs a new a/p I wanna know about it goin' in.

thanks

It's got an AP27 up top....wtf is that? thx

They're not supported and they sell cheap....bad combo...my thinkin'....would like to be wrong

...and I don't have the help on this stuff like I had on my last....it's exactly right, the boat...but for this a/p
    Last edited by dcate; 06-15-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Re: Simrad AP25 Autopilot

I am not familiar wit the AP27 and AP25. I do have the AP21 and AP22 on my boats. and they have performed flawesly for 15 yars. When I had a problem with one of the butoms on the control box of the AP22 i took it to an electronic repair house in Pompano, FL and they solved the problem. You will never be on the front line of the support service because these products change so fast thet they become obsolete very quicklyi and the manufacturer do not want to keep supporting them.They expect that you upgrade every 5 years, which in my opinion is ridiculos, they products are not that cheap. The avantage to owningan old time electronics is that they are relativelly easy to repair.

I have had nothing but positive interactions with simrad . They know the parameters for most Hatterases which you need to program and are very helpful, just my 2 cents ...Pat

I have had AP2X's on two boats totaling 28 boat years (like dog years except more expensive) and no issues except a failed outboard control ram (out in the elements).

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

piripucha

Pat

That pretty much jives with what little I've been able to learn about these auto pilots.

They're not the latest on the shelf but they don't have to be....they last a long time...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    I have had AP2X's on two boats totaling 28 boat years (like dog years except more expensive) and no issues except a failed outboard control ram (out in the elements).

George
    Thanks George. Missed yours as I was typing..

A bit more secure, thinking the boat can be bought without necessarily having to put an AP in it..at least not right outta the gate hopefully....that money can be spent on the known unknowns

Thanks
    David
    Last edited by dcate; 06-15-2017 at 07:07 PM.

My Simrad works pretty well, but the compass is way off, as much as 20 degrees, so it's unreliable. Once I set a course, it holds it well, you just can't use the compass reading to set it.