Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Draining Runoff on A 43 DC-- and others

My 1979 43DC has 1-1/4" drains on each side deck just forward of the Isenglas "gull door panels" that drain out via through-hulls at the waterline. In addition there are "marble looking" toe trim pieces about 1/2" high by 3" wide that run down each side on the aft deck to channel any water run-off that might have jumped the "marble looking" dam pieces (3/4" x 3/4") just aft of the drains. System works pretty good except that heavy volumes of water when washing often "jump" the dams ... then the water runs down the sides of the aft deck and drain off at the aft cleats. These drains appear to be original. If you need a picture email me and I'll try and get some this weekend.

Blowboaters all have or install scuppers which is what you need. Hatteras put them on the 53MYs. An example aftermarket scupper is here: http://www.sailboatstuff.com/plumb.html It requires a scupper hole at deck level and either an outlet on the outside of the hull or a drain hose to the nearest seachest.

The 53MY has a 3" teak door bottom at the wing doors that acts as a water dam to divert it to the scupper. The scupper has a 2" hose connected to the midship sea chest. It works fine and keeps most water out of the aft deck. Mine also has small 1/2" teak rails mounted at the edge of the aft deck carpet to make a 3" runway gunnel to divert any aft deck water to the corner floor drains.

Doug Shuman

On our 1977 43DC we had a wooden reverse lip molding at the base of the wing curtains, and then a teak molding running parallel to the dodger boards about 1 foot inboard of the gunnel. This worked fairly well; although I did have occasion to run in heavy seas and the "wash" running down the deck practically flooded the aft deck carpeting.

Wing doors with molded fiberglass sills would be a nice way to go. A guy named Hurley made a nice custom set up, the molds still exist and are in Virginia I believe.

Picture attached.

DC
    Attached Images