Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Specific Hatteras Issues???

I am looking at several mid 80's MY's and hope that I will soon need some surveyor recommendations.

Besides the mechanical issues that come with an older boat are there any Hatteras specific issues that I should be careful of?

The first thing that comes to mind are the fiberglass fuel tanks and the fuel lines. Then hull blisters.

What else is getting old and may need attention?

Thanks

Re: Specific Hatteras Issues???

Do a search for 'That Hatteras smell'. Not uncommon for older waste lines to have issues.

Blisters are cosmetic and only a problem if you think it's a problem.

Fiberglass fuel tank are great for diesel. Nightmare for alcohol laced gasoline.

I did not have this problem but from others look carefully at the fly bridge deck for core problems, seems like a lot of them had this problem because the fly bridge enclosure is screwed down with a lot of screws. Also if you have fixed framed side windows on the aft deck look for a gap at the top of the frames, water can get in there and cause problems, mine had a gap as big as 1/4 inch that was partially hidden below the aluminum trim piece that runs around the edge of the upper deck. Good luck, overall great boats, I am a marine surveyor and I see a lot of terrible boats, but I bought an old Hatteras. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I am a marine surveyor and I see a lot of terrible boats, but I bought an old Hatteras. John
    In the last six months I have attempted to buy several boats in the $400k to $500k range that were less than 10 years old and rejected all of them after survey. One had a bad case of blisters in a vinylester hull after the owner assured me that it had no blisters, Another one had coolant in the oil of a QSC11 and one had on sea trial an overheating engine and generator which the owner refused to fix.

So I am ready for an old Hatteras that someone has treated as they should. I listed four that I am considering in the For Sale Forum here to see if anyone knows one of more of them.

The fiberglass tanks are a huge plus as they will last as long as the boat. Fuel tanks problems are only with the smaller gas boats

Core problems on decks (fly bridge and main decks) are a common problem and an easy fix if the damage is limited to a small area

Fuel lines (as well as water) are solid copper and rarely a problem

Like just about any boat, a butchered electrical system can be a source of heaches

Rule nr 1 when purchasing: do a short sea trial before survey to make sure the boat is worth surveying
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

Rule nr 1 when purchasing: do a short sea trial before survey to make sure the boat is worth surveying

Boy, do you ever have that right. The brokers try to cram everything down your throat on the same day...sea trial...survey...and haulout to get you financially committed.

Good advice Pascal.

The biggest problem with Hatteras is that the owners are all freaks and love their boats too much.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The biggest problem with Hatteras is that the owners are all freaks and love their boats too much.
    Understand. I used to own a Bluebird motorhome. Same deal.

Exactly. The upside of owning a Hatteras yacht is that you get to hang out here on the HOF.

The downside is who you get to hang out with. Us.

Quote Originally Posted by seasalt View Post
    Understand. I used to own a Bluebird motorhome. Same deal.
    Ha,Ha, I think you got that right. The WOG and the HOF are pretty similar.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI