Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Run Allison Transmission oil pump with engine off

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    The problem might be heat. Without the engine raw water pump runnng the transmission oil cooler won't be cooling the transmission oil even if you get it circulating.
    Good thinking. So I should be worried about too much heat vs not enough?

Smile Re: Run Allison Transmission oil pump with engine off

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    First, it's not a sail boat. (usless, info)
    Got it. =)

3) Copy what people do on land in the RV world when towing a car with an automatic transmission because they are too lazy to drive a manual....add an electric pump that is up to the task such as this: https://www.swdriveline.com/remco_lube_pumps.html or http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towin...ubePumpKit.php
    You may be able to find a used pump on eBay or similar for pennies on the dollar. Add an pressure alarm for when the pump fails and you are good to go. You don't need high pressure to lube the bearings.
    I assume similar issues, ie making sure it gets fluid, and heat dissipation for the oil possibility as to (#2 the mechanical) option.

4) Burn fuel and run both engines.
    We do frequently. I am also concerned with balancing exercising the boat more frequently vs an hour or 2 at WOT, loading up the engines to acceptable levels, balancing hours, keeping the prego euro enviro wife happy. =)

Fact of the matter is we are over powered for our needs, but if you saw this 50 year old Bristol MY, you would have fallen in love too! (We are live aboards btw).

Why is it that you're unwilling to share why you need to free wheel the gear with the Sam's community?
    My opinion is you're playing with fire if you think you're going to be able to spin a shaft without the engine running with some sort of alternate pump set up, the Allison gears aren't that forgiving. What happens if the "pump" is running and you need that engine right away? Also, have you run the boat on 1 engine to find out how horribly it handles? And last of all there's no such thing as over powered, that's the same as saying you have too much money.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

No such thing as overpowered with that setup. The boat may not be able to even plane. If you want a single engine trawler buy one.

Fuel is the cheapest of your optio s here so go burn them dinosaurs.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

IMHO...this sounds like a typical "blowbote" mentality......Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Why is it that you're unwilling to share why you need to free wheel the gear with the Sam's community?
    My opinion is you're playing with fire if you think you're going to be able to spin a shaft without the engine running with some sort of alternate pump set up, the Allison gears aren't that forgiving. What happens if the "pump" is running and you need that engine right away? Also, have you run the boat on 1 engine to find out how horribly it handles? And last of all there's no such thing as over powered, that's the same as saying you have too much money.
    Hi, I have no issues sharing why - just based on reading lots of older threads, it devolves into tangential topics, as opposed to brainstorming a solution.

Have I ran it this way? Yes. Our auto can handle it fine. We are not in crowded areas or in situations where we "might need both right away" (WA, BC and AK are pretty wide open when get outside Seattle/Vancouver)
    Last edited by sailorryan; 11-29-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    No such thing as overpowered with that setup. The boat may not be able to even plane. If you want a single engine trawler buy one.

Fuel is the cheapest of your optio s here so go burn them dinosaurs.
    I appreciate the opinion but will agree to disagree. Not everyone needs to plane at 15-20knts in a city that the tree huggers have diesel at $4 gal right now and just voted on raising fuel taxes even higher. Some work now on a boat we will keep 10-15+ years will pay for itself in reduced fuel and maintenance.

Picking a boat is not just MY vs Trawler, its whats available, your time to look, budget, whats been rebuilt amongst a million other things. This boat is perfect, just that usually we like to run slower then most of you guys and we dont have LRC size fuel tanks.

Smile Re: Run Allison Transmission oil pump with engine off

I would keep it simple and look at designing a fixture to lock down the shaft so it does not turn problem solved!Make two or make it so it can be changed to fit either engine.
    Bob

OK, so back to solving your problem. Install a second pump. What heat are you worried about? The oil will not get too hot if it is circulating just to keep the bearings in the output shaft lubricated (which is the only reason you can't spin without motor running).

You also could take apart the transmission and install a slinger-ring on the output shaft....might take a bit of modifications to get it to dip low enough into the sump, though.

Also, check to see if you have dripless shaft seals. That's another thing that must be addressed.

You could also put a 40hp 4stroke outboard on the back.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Spoke to Acadian, and they said this was relatively easy.

Electric 12v oil transfer pump on each engine. Connect pump inlet to drain plug so not much suction (if any is needed). Outlet is check valved and Td to mechanical pump (which is check valved as well). Use temp gun to make sure transfer case is less than 180, otherwise need cooling setup. "Upgrades" could include an extra filter inline.

Aux pump runs on "off" engine.

Very very very longterm may have issues on flywheel plate.