Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teak Carpeting

Teak Carpeting

Has anybody used this with good results? Looks interesting.

http://www.teakcarpet.com/index.html

Re: Teak Carpeting

There is a 41 Viking in Stamford CT that has the teak carpet in the cockpit and on the swim platform. And I looks good!

I looked into it, I found it to be expensive.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Ron, look at something called Infinity woven vinyl carpet, it looks real good, have seen pictures of it on fly bridges. They have a teak and holy style also. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

What a great look.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Did you ask for a small sample to check out the feel? If so were they receptive ?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thumbs up Teak Carpeting

Interesting!
    Hard work pays off in the future.
    Laziness, pays off now!

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Did you ask for a small sample to check out the feel? If so were they receptive ?
    I haven't asked for a sample yet but that is on my to do list. I checked into the woven vinyl John mentioned but just didn't like the feel. I will let you know when I get some and what I think.

I have it. It's been in use for just over 2 years on lower helm of my 43DC which is covered, but exposed 8 months of the year from rear. I would say it's holding up OK, was very expensive given quality. I roll it up in winters and store inside boat (New York) to try and preserve. I don't regret putting it in, definitely a good look and would probably do it again, but still feel overpriced. Guess they don't sell house's full of this product and probably why it cost so much.

How is it with stains? I'm thinking about if for the fully enclosed aftdeck where my dining table lives.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Face fiber is polypropylene (or generically termed olefin). It will have an affinity for oil but not water. Ultraviolet light stabilzers are added for colorfastness and due to extremely low water absorbsion, the fibers are actually pigmented not dyed (termed solution dyeing: color chips are melted with the polymer during extrusion).

Polypropylenes are very low for generation of static electricity, have excellent abrasion resistance but have very poor resiliency (the abilty to recover from crushing). For carpet, they work best in very low pile height, very tight constructions. Cleaning is generally good as stonrer chemicals can be used, but removing any oil or grease stains is near impossible.

Bobk can probably add quite a bit to this... he is a polymer whiz!

Should add the oil absorbent pads and socks we all use are made from polyproplyene...
    Last edited by PeterK; 11-19-2016 at 10:39 AM.