Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Trip south...finally

After Hurricane Matthew slowed down work on Blue Bayou, we finally splashed at Grande Harbour Marina (boatyard) last Thursday, finished work on the genny, replaced the A/C seawater pump and replumbed the master head back to salt on Friday at Harbourgate Marina, Little River, SC, and headed south Saturday morning. This morning, we picked up a submerged buoy crab trap near McClellanvlle; fortunately our captain brought his dive gear, and we were back underway in 40 min. Crossed Charleston Harbor this afternoon in heavy overcast, pouring rain, gusts to 30. Tied up at St John's Yacht Harbor just past Charleston, a nice facility. Looking forward to better weather tomorrow as we make for Beaufort. When I get a chance, I'll post a couple of the photos I have of core repair, etc.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: Trip south...finally

Good luck with the new ride and the trip. Maybe we'll see you in Ft. Myers?
    Regards
    Dan

Best of luck with the boat. We plan to cruise the gulf coast this winter so will try to look you and others up. Why did you switch to sea water for the heads? Most folks go the other way, salt to fresh.

Bobk

@Dan, will definitely see you in Ft Myers, we'll compare core repair notes. @Bobk, glad to meet up anytime. The head story: There was no water in the bowl of the master head, we assumed there was something we didn't know; we asked the mechanic when he showed up on Friday (fantastic guy, former Hatteras employee); he got down in the ER and noted that the fresh water line to the aft head left the water tank, went up, then to port, then aft; those two turns had pinched and cut off flow to the head; after 2 minutes of thought (we're leaving next morning), we chose to replumb to the old thru-hull, which he said was easy, quick and guaranteed to work. He did it, and it now works perfectly. I'll consider later whether that's the permanent fix. BTW, after leaving St John's this morning, we ran up to 1700 rpm and eventually noted the starboard engine blowing quite a bit of white smoke (Cat 3208). We had run 1700 yesterday, but not forlong; we throttled back to 1500, and smoke 98% cleared up. Any ideas?
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Any odor? Were you running hot? Was it steam or smoke? Could be a fuel restriction. Check your fuel filters first.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Any odor? Were you running hot? Was it steam or smoke? Could be a fuel restriction. Check your fuel filters first.
    Thanks Jack. Not running hot, about 170, close to the other. Very strong exhaust smell on the rear deck, smoke hung in air, definitely not steam. Just checked the oil, that motor burned 2 qts in 70 mi, not a coincidence I suppose.

Does it always happen above 1500? I thought white smoke was unburned fuel. Could be an injector sticking clogged air filter etc..
    Regards
    Dan

I hate to hear the news of the engine. I never, ever ran the engines at 1700 rpm for over a few minutes. I used to run them at 1200 rpm, then up to 2000 rpm for 5-10 min every 3 hrs. When throttling up a big blue puff of smoke would come out, then clear right up quickly. I burned 2 qts of oil from Fort Pierce all the way to Charleston. Thats not normal for it to smoke as much as you say, but I cant say what wouldnt happen since I never ran it that hard. Really it would just burn lots more fuel and not give you that much more speed. Thats why I went slow. Hope things get better. Keep us posted. I looked at 2 sail boats in Charleston and was disapointed.
    Last edited by magnawake; 11-15-2016 at 06:31 PM.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Thanks Pate. Today we ran on sync (yesterday was not). Gradually increased to 1750 in 100 rpm steps. Never saw a puff of smoke, ran smooth, good mileage, didn't use a drop of oil. Can't explain what happened yesterday.

Something unstuck :P It could have been an injector sticking. Our genny was skipping a beat a while ago. I loaded it up with both ACs and some other items for a 1/2 hour and it smoothed right out.

You know, the "lead foot tuneup"?
    Regards
    Dan