Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 8v71TI engines

8v71TI engines

Hi everyone,

I did a survey on an older Hatteras 53 MY, and the engines showed "Blow By" (both), with increase in Crankcase pressure on both sides also (3.25, and 3.37).

Additionally tons of other things, but do these signs above mean Overhaul?

And if not then how do I go from here?

The port and Starboard engine cylinders were found to have minimal scuffing and scouring, cross hash marks are present. The surveyor told me that it means the engines have long way to go!

No compression test performed. he said that would be extra $$$.

The sleeves of few turbos were producing smoke on wide open throttle inside the engine room.

They have around 2300 hours.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your help. I am lost here.

Re: 8v71TI engines

Why would you ask us and not the surveyor?

If the engine survey is incomplete it's not a good starting point.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusshr View Post
    Hi everyone,

I did a survey on an older Hatteras 53 MY, and the engines showed "Blow By" (both), with increase in Crankcase pressure on both sides also (3.25, and 3.37).

Additionally tons of other things, but do these signs above mean Overhaul?

And if not then how do I go from here?

The port and Starboard engine cylinders were found to have minimal scuffing and scouring, cross hash marks are present. The surveyor told me that it means the engines have long way to go!

No compression test performed. he said that would be extra $$$.

The sleeves of few turbos were producing smoke on wide open throttle inside the engine room.

They have around 2300 hours.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your help. I am lost here.
    I am no DD engine expert by no means but i have experience.(a belly full) Here we go.
    I suspect the smoke is not excessive cylender wear but bad or worn injectors. Pull the injectors and have them tested. The test is simple when they shoot off they should spray and not pea a stream. That causes smoke. Compression test with injectors out is fairely simple some guys may tune in but 420 psi i believe is the number. My thought in a MY 2300 should not be excessive hours. there may be other issues. Worn turbos for one that can also be tested by a good dd man. The blower may also have carbon build up. Also it can be a intercooler stoped up. Should i continue. I do not believe anyone here can pinpoint the problem without actually being there to check some things. I JUST GOT THROUGH REBUILDING A PAIR NOT PERSONALLY BUT WATCHED I LEARNED A LOT. GOOD LUCK MY MAN!!!!!!

Thank you. Very Helpful.

My main issue is that do I need a rebuild or not. Because that would be a deal breaker for me.

PS: the smoke is coming within the engine room on the full throttle from the area around the blankets of the turbos. Do you still think that the injectors maybe the culprit?

Thanks again

You Should Not Have Smoke in the engine room.

Get a full engine survey. Then you know what's really in need of attention.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Are you sure that is the smoke and not steam? When I did my survey I walk down to the engine room while at full throttle and could not see the mechanic inside either room. I thought the deal was over. Only to find out that the jackets were filled with condensation and by getting it up to temperature at full throttle it burned off the condensation which turned into steam. Check with your mechanic and make sure that it is actually blow by and not steam.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Smoke at turbos in ER at WOT is probably a leaky joint between the turbo and the exhaust collector. Its not difficult to reseal those but you will need new clamps. That issue is the least of your worries.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

A standard full Detroit survey does NOT include compression check on a DD it is extra and time consuming as it requires a full time up afterward

Many surveyors only report what they find. They do no go into repair costs and causes which is why he is specifically asking about the blow by numbers

As to the smoke in the ER, it s not an injector issue but either a turbo or exhaust clamp problem.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by skycheney View Post
    smoke at turbos in er at wot is probably a leaky joint between the turbo and the exhaust collector. Its not difficult to reseal those but you will need new clamps. That issue is the least of your worries.
    thats a very good statement!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    A standard full Detroit survey does NOT include compression check on a DD it is extra and time consuming as it requires a full time up afterward

Many surveyors only report what they find. They do no go into repair costs and causes which is why he is specifically asking about the blow by numbers

As to the smoke in the ER, it s not an injector issue but either a turbo or exhaust clamp problem.
    I know I'm wasting my breath, but why in the world would you think that a full "tune up" would be required with a compression check? Simply remove the full pipes. Jumper from feed to return, bar the engine over til the rocker arms are near even, remove the rocker arm support bolts, flip them back and remove injector, replace injector with compression test unit, (be sure and replace the hold down), run the engine, check the compression guage, replace the injector and fuel pipes...you haven't changed a thing with the valve or injector timing....